Setting up Linux

This forum is for users of Microchip MPUs and who are interested in using Linux OS.

Moderator: nferre

MSARUL36

Setting up Linux

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:14 am

Hello All,
I am newbie to linux. I am using SAMA5d3xek board and trying to run Linux on the same. I use the following sources,

Bootstrap : git clone git://github.com/linux4sam/at91bootstrap.git
uBoot : git clone git://github.com/linux4sam/u-boot-at91.git
Linux : git clone git://github.com/linux4sam/linux-at91.git

Both Bootstrap & uBoot is working fine. But after jumping to Kernel it is showing following message.

"[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)"

I have placed the kernel in 0x20008000 and DTB in 20508000 and switching to kernel by following command.

bootm 20008000 - 20508000

Is there any tutorial in setting up the linux in sama5 series devices. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks & Regards,
ARUL PRAKASH M
blue_z

Re: Setting up Linux

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:33 pm

MSARUL36 wrote:I am newbie to linux.
Then study How To Ask Questions The Smart Way.
For instance you have a habit of writing vague, misleading titles.

MSARUL36 wrote:Both Bootstrap & uBoot is working fine.
That bootstrap program has a proper name; it's AT91Bootstrap.
It's Universal Boot, and not microBoot, so it's spelled U-Boot.

MSARUL36 wrote: But after jumping to Kernel it is showing following message.

"[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)"
Reporting only a single, last line of the boot failure is almost always inadequate.
This kernel panic is always related to the kernel command line (which is reported at the beginning of the kernel boot log), and possibly device or partition messages also in the log.

MSARUL36 wrote:I have placed the kernel in 0x20008000 and DTB in 20508000 and switching to kernel by following command.

bootm 20008000 - 20508000
This (poorly worded) tidbit of information is actually irrelevant to the kernel panic that did occur.
Why are those load addresses not the conventional values used in the Atmel configuration file?

If you're going to be parsimonious about revealing what you're doing, then you still need to provide at minimum the salient and pertinent details.
You haven't even mentioned what the boot device/medium is.
If you expect to boot a Linux system (rather than just the kernel), then what root filesystem are you using?
That kernel panic is not HW vendor specific. A Google search would provide a plethora of results.

Regards

Return to “LINUX”