SD and microsd on the SAMA5D3 Xplained

Moderator: nferre

gdillen

SD and microsd on the SAMA5D3 Xplained

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:11 am

Hi,

1. I found the SD card connector on the bottom side on the SAMA5D3 Xplained. But is it correct that there is also a MicroSD card connector because I don't find this connector on my board?

2. What is the max size of the SD card that can be used on the SAMA5D3 Xplained?

Thanks.
bseljak

Re: SD and microsd on the SAMA5D3 Xplained

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:53 am

Hi!
1. Micro SD card is an option. You could solder connector  and use the second sd-card, but you can't boot system from the second card. 

2. I think it is 32GB. I use 16GB SanDisk Ultra HCI class 10 and it works. 
You could try to boot Debian image from SD Card and test it. Here is SD card image file with description how to use it. It is similar debian system like on Raspberry Pi. So you have thousands of applications just to install... 
apt-get install .... 
Borut 
Last edited by bseljak on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gdillen

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:50 pm

Many thanks.

Guy
gman8a

Re: SD and microsd on the SAMA5D3 Xplained; dual OS boot

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:32 pm

If I boot Debian from the SD card, does that leave my default on-board Yocto Linux boot intact.

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux sama5d3_xplained 3.10.0-yocto-standard #1 Wed Feb 5 10:03:20 CET 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux
I have done development work using the default factory Yocto Linux boot and need to have it reboot intact.

Thanks;
bseljak

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:14 pm

NAND flash will stay unchanged. 

Actually you can't use nand flash without u-boot, because I think there is problem in kernel driver. A least I didn't found the solution yet.  

Borut Seljak 
crawfish101

Fri May 02, 2014 6:42 am

I have a somewhat related question.  If I were to design a SAMA5 board that boots from an eMMC (not removable) on MCI0 how would I format and partition the eMMC the first time?  Lets assume I also have a non bootable regular SD card on MCI1, but no other persistent memory.  Would it be possible to load a custom at91bootstrap into the internal CPU sram using the SAM-BA tool and then execute it where it would then load a linux kernel from the SD card on MCI1?  Is there any example how to load and execute at91bootstrap into internal SRAM or DRAM from the SAM-BA tool?
Timo

Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:08 pm

crawfish101 wrote:I have a somewhat related question.  If I were to design a SAMA5 board that boots from an eMMC (not removable) on MCI0 how would I format and partition the eMMC the first time?  Lets assume I also have a non bootable regular SD card on MCI1, but no other persistent memory.  Would it be possible to load a custom at91bootstrap into the internal CPU sram using the SAM-BA tool and then execute it where it would then load a linux kernel from the SD card on MCI1?  Is there any example how to load and execute at91bootstrap into internal SRAM or DRAM from the SAM-BA tool?
Have you had any luck with gettign your kernel loaded from MCI1?

I am in a similar position here, we have a custom board with SD card on MC1 and eMMC on MCI0. I am interested in getting something to load from the SD card with the bootstrap, but it does not appear to work as expected. The bootstrap itsel loads ok with SAM-BA and I can modify it at will. But I can't read anything from MCI1, reads from the eMMC connected to MCI0 work apparently as expected (card gets detected and I can read zeroes from it).

I tried modifying at91_mci0_hw_init function to also initialize MCI1 in addition to MCI0 and changing CONFIG_SYS_BASE_MCI definition to AT91B_BASE_MCI1 and enabling MCI1 clock. As far as I can understand, this should route all MCI queries into MCI1 instead of MCI0, but I can't get anything to show up on the MCI1_CK pin. It just goes low once initialized. Toggling it as a GPIO works, so the HW itself should be ok.

Edit: I got this particular issue fixed. Turns out the build scripts don't quite handle the dependencies correctly. I modified the CONFIG_SYS_BASE_MCI define from board/sama5d3_xplained/sama5d3_xplained.h file, but the change did not propagate correctly to all of the object files. I even had a debug print in mci_media.c file which was printing the correct base address, but I had to wipe all .o files and rebuild to make it actually work. Very confusing.. So, loading from SD card works just fine, but I ran into this issue..
tamilarasan

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:19 pm

I have a somewhat related question. If I were to design a SAMA5 board that boots from an eMMC (not removable) on MCI0 how would I format and partition the eMMC the first time? Lets assume I also have a non bootable regular SD card on MCI1, but no other persistent memory. Would it be possible to load a custom at91bootstrap into the internal CPU sram using the SAM-BA tool and then execute it where it would then load a linux kernel from the SD card on MCI1? Is there any example how to load and execute at91bootstrap into internal SRAM or DRAM from the SAM-BA tool?

hi all,
I am going to design a custom board with eMMC connected in MCI0. No other boot media present in my board. is it possible to do FAT partion the emmc via SAM-BA tool?

how I will load the boot.bin file in to eMMC with the help of SAM-BA tool ?

waiting for your Quick reply

Return to “SAMA5-based”