Is there another way to download Linux ?

This forum is for users of Microchip MPUs and who are interested in using Linux OS.

Moderator: nferre

Alex_Sv

Is there another way to download Linux ?

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:38 pm

Does anybody knows how to download Linux into AT91RM9200 based board if there is no ethernet driver on it? May be it's possible thrue console or DBGU?
conger

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:36 pm

well, the kernel itself can be downloaded via DBGU, but be warned this will be a long download :). However, from my own experience, you will NOT be able to transmit the supplied ramdisks via DBGU as the size is too large, and if I remember right (I used Hyperterminal) the packet counter does not have enough bits to count all necessray packets to transmit several megabytes. I did not find this out until about 30-45 minutes later, when the counter topped out and the ramdisk download failed and gave me the error message. This is a problem, as while I am no Linux expert I believe without a ramdisk the kernel is useless (or at least SOME type of filesystem to mount and use).

There of course may be a workaround, at the time I did it out of curiousity and did not seek to find a workaround myself. Perhaps you could make a custom ramdisk which was much smaller in size, or otherwise maybe Hyperterminal or whichever serial application you use can be configured to support larger filesize transfers. At any rate, DBGU is not the best solution, you can expect a ridiculously long download time each time you need to load Linux (30min-1hr).
Alex_Sv

Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:32 pm

Thank you for your reply. After i've red it, i 've mount ethernet on my device and now i download all images via tftp :)

Return to “LINUX”