Tutorials for memory tests

Discussion around AT91RM9200 and SAM9 Series Products.

Moderator: nferre

wesperos

Tutorials for memory tests

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Hello,

I fail to load at91 bootstrap on my custom made PCB. I tried to load on both NAND flash and SPI Dataflash using SAM-BA and it didn't work. Some good people on this forum suggested it might be because of invalid DDR and that I need to test it with the program running from the SRAM.

Now, being quite beginner with ARM processors, I am looking for a tutorial on how to write this comprehensive memory check. I'd appreciate any link, user guide or repo. I imagine the program is a loop that writes to memory and reads the content out and verifies the whole operation.

Cheers,

W
blue_z

Re: Tutorials for memory tests

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:56 am

wesperos wrote:Now, being quite beginner with ARM processors,
That's not as informative as you think; I've seen similar statements used to conceal the fact that "I'm completely new to embedded computers and actually have little experience with programming".
It's a negative or exclusionary statement, which you're fond of making, e.g. "it doesn't work".
A more informative statement is what you do know or have experience with.
wesperos wrote:I am looking for a tutorial on how to write this comprehensive memory check. I'd appreciate any link, user guide or repo.
A google seach turns up:
http://www.esacademy.com/en/library/tec ... sting.html
http://www.ganssle.com/testingram.htm

Your board's designer used memtester, and that source code is available. You'd have to make it a standalone program, but could use code from at91bootstrap or libraries from the Atmel Software package for the SAM9N/CN.

From my experience with bad memory/boards, there's simply no substitute for a comprehensive memory exerciser that tests every memory location with assorted patterns.
Since your board's designer admits it has memory issues (e.g. the board has unequal trace lengths), if you write a memory test program that cannot detect any errors, then that program is probably not intensive enough.

Regards

Return to “SAM9 ARM9 MPU”