problem with "enable nandflash" (sam-ba) on g45 custom board

Discussion around AT91RM9200 and SAM9 Series Products.

Moderator: nferre

depenz

problem with "enable nandflash" (sam-ba) on g45 custom board

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi,

Having some trouble enabling nandflash on a custom board. Using SAM-BA 2.13, and when we compare what happens on the g45ek board, it looks like the 'enable nandflash' applet is crashing - subsequently causing sam-ba to lockup. The differences between the g45ek and our g45 board in this regard are 1) we use a 3V3 TSOP nand and the g45ek uses a 1V8 bga part, other than that they are the same 2Gb nand; and 2) we use 64MB DDRAM cf 128 MB on the g45ek. My suspicion is that this latter point 2 is important, as the enable nandflash applet has to load in memory at 0x70000000, and maybe that doesn't exist in our 64MB system. Apologies for not being more up to speed on that aspect, but I am the hardware guy trying to get this going, and I don't know where the ddram is mapped to in physical memory space. Obviously, I can't rule out hardware issues completely, but at this point it looks like the enable nandflash applet is not running properly from sam-ba. The reason I say this is that when I run the enable nandflash command on the g45ek board with the nand chip select disconnected, sam-ba doesn't crash, it just returns from the applet with a 'nand not know, or not found (something like that).

Has anyone else had issues like this. Any help appreciated.

(if needed I can retype the sam-ba output - but I cna't just copy and paste as I can't retrieve it from the locked up sam-ba)

Many thanks,
depenz
blue_z

Re: problem with "enable nandflash" (sam-ba) on g45 custom b

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:13 pm

depenz wrote:Having some trouble enabling nandflash on a custom board.
Sounds like you're jumping the gun. How have you tested basic functionality?
IMO SAM-BA is a "boot assistant" only for Atmel EK boards, and far from ideal in bringing-up prototype hardware.

If you haven't done so already, you should have tested external RAM and NAND Flash with standalone test programs executing from internal SRAM. The programs from the SoC SoftPack can be adapted for this purpose.

Does your board have a working SDcard slot?

Regards
depenz

Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:00 pm

Yes, the board has working SD card slot. In fact the rest of the board works fine and has been for some time, both in boot from SD card mode, or more latterly from spi serial nor flash. But we'd much prefer to use nand, for two reasons 1) the SD card can then be an off the shelf SD card for data only (no OS or wierd partitioning) and 2) the serial NOR works fine except that there 'appears' to be some low level conflict with the high speed serial buses (spi and usb), and the ISI signal chain. This has been a killer in our application, as we get image corruption whenever there are interactions over usb or spi. But not over SDIO, and hopefully not with nand. Despite best efforts we never got to the bottom of this, and suspect some kind of internal contention in the G45 itself.

Will check out the software pack, thanks for that pointer. (I agree that sam-ba is a bit clunky for this job [but can be made to work], but point taken re using a better tool to check that the nand is actually working).
blue_z

Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:17 am

depenz wrote:Yes, the board has working SD card slot. ... But we'd much prefer to use nand, for two reasons ...
Let's hope that you're better at board design & troubleshooting than reading minds.
I had no intention of offering advice on using the SDcard over NAND Flash or suggest that an embedded product boot from a removable SDcard.
But booting a standalone program from SDcard has fewer HW & SW dependencies than using the SAM-BA utility.

Regards
Last edited by blue_z on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
depenz

Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:42 am

sorry, my language was not right - the primary boot and u-boot are in At45 serial flash, but the kernel and filesystem is on the sd card (latterly spi serial norflash).
depenz

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:55 am

ok, thanks (from a while ago). Had to go back to basics to figure this out. So, this just to acknowledge that this issue was sorted. I have another query now re barebox but will start a new post for that.
bestboy4

Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:39 pm

So what was the cause of the flash enable not working?
smart

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

depenz wrote:sorry, my language was not right - the primary boot and u-boot are in At45 serial flash, but the kernel and filesystem is on the sd card (latterly spi serial norflash).
中国的? :lol:
smart

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:28 am

depenz wrote:Hi,

Having some trouble enabling nandflash on a custom board. Using SAM-BA 2.13, and when we compare what happens on the g45ek board, it looks like the 'enable nandflash' applet is crashing - subsequently causing sam-ba to lockup. The differences between the g45ek and our g45 board in this regard are 1) we use a 3V3 TSOP nand and the g45ek uses a 1V8 bga part, other than that they are the same 2Gb nand; and 2) we use 64MB DDRAM cf 128 MB on the g45ek. My suspicion is that this latter point 2 is important, as the enable nandflash applet has to load in memory at 0x70000000, and maybe that doesn't exist in our 64MB system. Apologies for not being more up to speed on that aspect, but I am the hardware guy trying to get this going, and I don't know where the ddram is mapped to in physical memory space. Obviously, I can't rule out hardware issues completely, but at this point it looks like the enable nandflash applet is not running properly from sam-ba. The reason I say this is that when I run the enable nandflash command on the g45ek board with the nand chip select disconnected, sam-ba doesn't crash, it just returns from the applet with a 'nand not know, or not found (something like that).

Has anyone else had issues like this. Any help appreciated.

(if needed I can retype the sam-ba output - but I cna't just copy and paste as I can't retrieve it from the locked up sam-ba)

Many thanks,
depenz
if you from china please contace to me
MP:13346239466
QQ:925295580C
E-MIAL:925295580@qq.com
我最近也碰到这个问题了,擦!!!
我的是nandflash 原来的在开发板的和我自己做的板子的区别仅仅是后缀不一样,结果他妈的使用SAM-BA2.16使能的时候不通过。
我debug了一下那个SAM-BA2.16的applte,发现有个pmbox-commend被改了。但是不能找到原因。读取NAND的基本信息是OK的。
我的板子上并没有预留SD卡,估计要悲剧了这次 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Return to “SAM9 ARM9 MPU”