Problem with yagarto compilation of getting-started project

All design tool related questions: compiler, assembler, linker. Embedded programming questions: assembler, C code.

Moderator: nferre

eg

Problem with yagarto compilation of getting-started project

Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:11 am

I have installed the arm-gnu Yagarto toolchain as per the: "GNU-Based Software Development on AT91SAM Microcontrollers" Atmel App note. I am now trying to simply compile the "getting started" sample project for the AT91SAM9260-EK board. At this point, I would be glad to simply get the program to compile using the command-line make utility (let alone using Eclipse). Unfortunately, after doing a make, I get the error:

" .... arm-elf-gcc -g -nostartfiles -Wl,--gc-sections -T"../at91lib/boards/at91sam9260
-ek/at91sam9260/sram.lds" -o bin/getting-started-project-at91sam9260-ek-at91sam9
260-sram.elf obj/sram_board_cstartup.o obj/sram_main.o obj/sram_led.o obj/sram_s
tdio.o obj/sram_dbgu.o obj/sram_pio.o obj/sram_aic.o obj/sram_pio_it.o obj/sram_
pit.o obj/sram_tc.o obj/sram_board_memories.o obj/sram_board_lowlevel.o
c:/program files/yagarto/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-elf/4.3.2/../../../../arm-elf/bin/ld
.exe: region sram0 is full (bin/getting-started-project-at91sam9260-ek-at91sam92
60-sram.elf section .fixed0)
c:/program files/yagarto/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-elf/4.3.2/../../../../arm-elf/bin/ld
.exe: region sram0 is full (bin/getting-started-project-at91sam9260-ek-at91sam92
60-sram.elf section .fixed0)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make.exe: *** [sram] Error 1
make.exe: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
Done.
Press any key to continue . . . "

Basically, it says that sram0 is full. I haven't touched anything other than unzip the sample project and type "make clean" which automatically invokes make all. I also tried using Eclipse and get same result. What is going on?
Olovii

Re: Problem with yagarto compilation of getting-started project

Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:04 pm

I also get the same error when i try to build the getting started project with Eclipse/Yagarto. Did you find out what is causing this?

Olo
Olo
eg

Re: Problem with yagarto compilation of getting-started project

Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:00 pm

Yes, actually it is normal (believe it or not). The compiler tries to build several different versions of the executable (for FLASH, SDRAM, internal RAM execution) even though you may only be interested in one of those for your needs. Basically, it compiles most of the target images successfully, but simply fails on the version for use in internal RAM (which is too small to execute the code). You can therefore ignore the message.

Return to “Development Tools”