EDBG Firmware Update

All design tool related questions: compiler, assembler, linker. Embedded programming questions: assembler, C code.

Moderator: nferre

cajjed

EDBG Firmware Update

Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:19 am

I am trying to update the EDBG firmware on my SAMD21 Xplained board. I have tried it using Atmel Studio 7 and from the command prompt using atfw:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\atbackend\atfw -t EDBG -a ..\tools\EDBG\edbg_fw.zip

Both run the bootloader and prepare to update and then fail.

I use windows 7 emulated via VMWARE Fusion and from what I read on the Atmel site and http://forum.elektor.com/viewtopic.php? ... &t=2715134 that the process won't work unless you run Windows on actual hardware.

Is that still the case or is there a workaround?
aarcov

Re: EDBG Firmware Update

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:40 pm

I had the same problem when using virtualbox, and had to update the EDBG firmware from a physical windows install.
cajjed

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Just wanted to post that I was able to update using Windows 7 emulated on a mac using Parallels. I did have to run the upgrade twice in a row, the first time it failed. I have seen some posts that stated that running the firmware upgrade twice was a possible fix but was not able to get it to work using Fusion.
riz-calliope

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:30 pm

I was able to get the upgrade to work in Windows 10 under VirtualBox, but I had to make sure all the various incarnations of the EDBG/Xplained Pro board got auto-attached to the VM. Took a few tries, but got there.

Return to “Development Tools”