Debugging without UART

All design tool related questions: compiler, assembler, linker. Embedded programming questions: assembler, C code.

Moderator: nferre

bestboy4

Debugging without UART

Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:34 pm

Hey guys, does anyone know how you can debug through USB?  I have a custom SAMA5D36 board, but failed to bring out the UART debug signals.  I have JTAG and USB available.  Unfortunately all the demos, and how-to's use the UART for debug.  

It just seems silly to me that most embedded boards like RPi have a single point of contact for programming and debug through the USB, but the Xplained demo boards have three ports that have to be connected in order to get anywhere: USB, JTAG, and the debug UART.  
blue_z

Re: Debugging without UART

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:57 pm

bestboy4 wrote:Hey guys, does anyone know how you can debug through USB?
Depends on what you're trying to do.  
bestboy4 wrote:It just seems silly to me that most embedded boards like RPi have a single point of contact for programming and debug through the USB,
You seem to be rationalizing your oversight/mistake with an observation that is inaccurate.
I don't know about microcontrollers, but the vast majority of (if not all) SoCs with MMUs have a serial port for the Linux console.
Many embedded devices can be hacked (or even "unbricked") by accessing a serial port, which is often a 3- or 4-pin header.
I've worked on various embedded boards using SoCs from Atmel, Freescale, Marvell, Allwinner (all ARM) and MStar (MIPS), and every one used a serial port and none required or supported a USB console as you claim.
As to the RPi, you may be confusing the use of a USB-serial-TTL adapter connected to the TTL serial port as a "USB connection".
bestboy4 wrote:but the Xplained demo boards have three ports that have to be connected in order to get anywhere: USB, JTAG, and the debug UART.  
You seem to be overstating things.
IMO for real development, the DBGU port is essential for early development and booting, the JTAG is good to have for board bringup, and USB host and device ports are not necessary for debugging.

Regards
Andy Peters

Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:26 pm

bestboy4 wrote:Hey guys, does anyone know how you can debug through USB?  I have a custom SAMA5D36 board, but failed to bring out the UART debug signals.  I have JTAG and USB available.  Unfortunately all the demos, and how-to's use the UART for debug.  

It just seems silly to me that most embedded boards like RPi have a single point of contact for programming and debug through the USB, but the Xplained demo boards have three ports that have to be connected in order to get anywhere: USB, JTAG, and the debug UART.  
Seems to me that the most important port for debugging is the JTAG, since you that's the port you use for the in-circuit debugger. A UART is nice for printing "this is where I am!" statements out to a terminal, but if you want breakpoints, watches, single stepping, and the like, you need the JTAG port.
NigelF

Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:25 am

I hesitate to suggest these two methods because they are both a lot more involved than hooking an FTDI USB/serial chip to a spare UART. My advice: If you have a spare UART do another board turn and get the UART connected.

Or you could look into Percepio trace for Atmel Studio 6.2. I know this can be done with SAM3 and SAM4, but I do not know how many other ARMs support this. This may require SWD rather than JTAG.

See this video at time 3:17:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iioeeViKrsc

The debug console data is sent through the SWD connection.

I personally have not tried this yet.

An Atmel FAE gave me this code example for adding this to a project:

Code: Select all

#define ITM_TER *(volatile int*)0xE0000E00 // Trace Enable Register 
#define ITM_TCR *(volatile int*)0xE0000E80 // Trace Control Register 
#define ITM_STIM_8(n) *(volatile uint8_t*)(0xE0000000 + ((n) * 4)) // 8 Bit N < 32 
void SWO_print_char(int port, char c); 
void SWO_print_string(int port, const char *s); 
void SWO_print_char(int port, char c) 
{ 
while ((ITM_STIM_8(port) & 1) == 0); 
ITM_STIM_8(port) = c; 
} 
void SWO_print_string(int port, const char *s) 
{ 
if ((ITM_TCR & 1) == 0) return; 
if ((ITM_TER & 1) == 0) return; 
while (*s) SWO_print_char(port, *s++); 
SWO_print_char(port, 0); 
} 
The USB solution:

If you have unused USB device hardware you can implement a CDC class (virtual com port) and redirect your "serial" debug data. But you need to create or find a suitable USB device stack. (If you manage to find right CDC descriptor set you will not need a driver with Windows.)

The USB solution can be a bit inconvenient, because when you stop your code you can lose your virtual com port connection. With each run you have to reconnect to your terminal program (AS6.2 Terminal, Tera Term, Putty, etc.).

Also:

Two different Xplained Pro boards I have used employ the Atmel EDBG chip which sends debug console data (as a virtual com port) through the same USB cable that is used for the JTAG/SWD data. The Atmel Studio 6.2 "Terminal" add-on seems to work fairly well to display this data.

Good luck,
Nigel
blue_z

Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:21 pm

NigelF wrote: Also:

Two different Xplained Pro boards I have used employ the Atmel EDBG chip which sends debug console data (as a virtual com port) through the same USB cable that is used for the JTAG/SWD data.
You're mischaracterizing this "virtual COM port". It has a USB connection to the host PC, but it also uses a UART on the SoC.
So you are back to the original problem of requiring access to a specific UART.

Regards
NigelF

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:17 am

Yes, the EDBG connects to a UART RX/TX from the target MCU. You need a spare UART for this solution.

But in terms of the USB connection to the host PC, the UART data is transferred as a CDC class USB interface, (i.e. a "Virtual COM Port").

You can see this by looking at the Device Manager on a Windows machine. You should see the following entries.

Under Atmel:
EDBG Debugger

Under Ports (COM & LPT):
EDBG Virtual COM Port (COMxx) (xx being port #)

A virtual COM port like this can be used with the AS6 Terminal Window add-on or a serial terminal program like Putty.

Obviously you can avoid using a UART if you have a USB device interface handy on the MCU. But as I said above you will need to implement a Communication Device Class (CDC) USB stack.

If anyone has implemented the SWD/SWO solution I mentioned above it would be nice to hear how it was done, how it worked out and if any difficulties were encountered.

Return to “Development Tools”