Studio 6 Watch Window Formatting

All design tool related questions: compiler, assembler, linker. Embedded programming questions: assembler, C code.

Moderator: nferre

clarkleach

Studio 6 Watch Window Formatting

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:30 am

I'm trying to debug a program on the SAMD20_XPRO with EDBG in Studio 6.2.  I see in the context menu within the watch window a "Hex Display" option as well as its mirror button on the tool bar.  The problem is that it does nothing.  My display remains the same regardless of this setting.  Instead I get a seemingly random mixture of ASCII, decimal, and octal (of all things).  I thought I'd seen the last of octal when I stopped programming Altairs...

Is there a way to actually control the formatting of data displayed in the value field of the watch window?  Why is "hex" the only option?
AS6_2_Watch_WTF.PNG
AS6_2_Watch_WTF.PNG (18.77 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
clarkleach

Re: Studio 6 Watch Window Formatting

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Do any Atmel personnel ever make an appearance in these forums?  It's kind of a ghost town around here.  This is not encouraging and does not bode well for the adoption of Atmel products in my final designs.  Just sayin'...
:x
clarkleach

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Apparently I am disqualified from contacting them via e-mail because I have a gmail address not a corporate address.  My FAE never returns calls... basically the support sucks.

The inability to reliably debug firmware is something of a deal-breaker for me.  I'm seriously considering trashing my Atmel-based design in favor of TI.  I have no experience with them and don't know if it's any better.

BTW, the link you provided is a video, "An Introduction to Atmel's New Support System", with no links on the page.
clarkleach

Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:45 pm

awneil wrote: They don't do support via email any more - it's through myAtmel these days.
I finally figured that out... thanks.

I'm gonna go play with Code Composer Studio and see if I hate it any less than Atmel Studio (aka Micro$oft Visual Studio)...
jharley

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:06 am

Have you tried using "format specifiers"?

http://www.atmel.com/webdoc/atmelstudio ... sions.html

PS. I have not tried them in Atmel Studio ... but they work in Visual Studio :D

Return to “Development Tools”