AT91-BuildRoot build with latest Host tool versions fails.

All design tool related questions: compiler, assembler, linker. Embedded programming questions: assembler, C code.

Moderator: nferre

mablett

AT91-BuildRoot build with latest Host tool versions fails.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:15 pm

I'm not a Linux noob, but this is the first time I've tried to set up and make a full distribution.

My setup is Windows-7 64-bit system, with VMWare, Ubuntu 13.10 Host development machine. Loaded the prerequisite g++ / texinfo / etc via apt-get.

I just got started with the AT91 / Buildroot project per the instructions on the at91 Linux4SAM Buildroot page, and the most recently released buildroot-at91 code won't build with the most recent host tools. The first two issues I've found are gcc 4.7.2 source (buildroot-at91) won't compile with host gcc 4.8.x. Also it won't build with makeinfo 5.x. Haven't gotten any further than that.

Before I start trying various options, does anyone have the "best" solution? Should I:
1. Install previous versions of the various host tools? If so, can anyone tell me the best previous versions of tools so I don't have latent issues?

2. Try to modify the buildroot-at91 project files up to the latest buildroot release?

3. Wait for a revised buildroot-at91 with the latest buildroot stuff rolled in? If so, any ideas on when that may be? I can get away with pre-built filesystem and external toolchain for a while, but eventually I want to be able to build and customize - so I want to resolve this properly. If a next release is pending, I can wait.

Thanks for any guidance.
blue_z

Re: AT91-BuildRoot build with latest Host tool versions fail

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:31 am

mablett wrote:My setup is Windows-7 64-bit system, with VMWare, Ubuntu 13.10 Host development machine.
What's the benefit of using the latest release of Ubuntu for an embedded development environment?
Wouldn't a LTS release be more sensible?
FWIW I'm still using 10.4 LTS (32-bit), and it has been rock solid.
mablett wrote:the most recently released buildroot-at91 code won't build with the most recent host tools.
Mentioning the actual version name is more meaningful than "most recent", which becomes ambiguous as time passes and as newer (including revision and unstable) versions get released. E.G. this month I have been building/using the "most recent" stable kernel release, but on Wednesday that was no longer true (3.12.8 was released).
mablett wrote:2. Try to modify the buildroot-at91 project files up to the latest buildroot release?
That seems backwards.
Buildroot-at91-linux4sam_4.2 (if that is what you are using) seems to be based on Buildroot 2012.11.1.
It would probably be easier to apply AT91 patches (if necessary) to a newer version of Buildroot.

Regards
mablett

Re: AT91-BuildRoot build with latest Host tool versions fail

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks - the bleeding-edge Ubuntu was the culprit here. Went to 12.04 LTS and everything works as expected. As for the other comments, thanks also - I will be more clear when posting in the future.

Return to “Development Tools”