GCC assembler error

All design tool related questions: compiler, assembler, linker. Embedded programming questions: assembler, C code.

Moderator: nferre

mattwood2000

GCC assembler error

Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:17 am

Hi folks I'm trying to setup Eclipse with cross-tools support for a project on the SAMA5. I'm pretty familiar with both Eclipse and GCC however I'm getting stumped by an error while just trying to compile a very basic C program. Has anyone seen this error? I didn't turn much up on google.

I've tried with both YAGARTO and Codesourcery Lite for toolchains with the same results.

Thanks, Matt.

Assembler flags:

Code: Select all

-mcpu=cortex-a5 -mfpu=vfpv4-d16
Error:

Code: Select all

../board_cstartup_gnu.S: Assembler messages:
subdir.mk:22: recipe for target `board_cstartup_gnu.o' failed
../board_cstartup_gnu.S:113: Error: invalid operands (*UND* and *UND* sections) for `|'
../board_cstartup_gnu.S:193: Error: invalid operands (*UND* and *UND* sections) for `|'
../board_cstartup_gnu.S:193: Error: invalid operands (*ABS* and *UND* sections) for `|'
../board_cstartup_gnu.S:198: Error: invalid operands (*UND* and *UND* sections) for `|'
../board_cstartup_gnu.S:98: Error: undefined symbol ARM_MODE_SVC used as an immediate value
../board_cstartup_gnu.S:195: Error: undefined symbol IRQ_STACK_SIZE used as an immediate value
make: *** [board_cstartup_gnu.o] Error 1
incognito

Re: GCC assembler error

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:09 pm

If you take a look at the makefiles in the sama5 software package, you will see that it calls $(CC) with the $(ASFLAGS). The gcc command understands the | operation and the #defines, where the as command doesn't. If you want to use that code as is, use gcc as your assembly compiler instead of as.

Return to “Development Tools”