flash programming and debugging

All design tool related questions: compiler, assembler, linker. Embedded programming questions: assembler, C code.

Moderator: nferre

sylvio

flash programming and debugging

Tue May 19, 2009 1:30 pm

Hello,

I've been working with the at91sam7x256-ek with Sam-Ice interface (and Keil IDE) and I'm able to debug and to do a flash programming without the need of doing a manual erase. I can also program the flash using SAM-BA or SAM-PROG via USB or COM connections, however, it is necessary to manually erase so that I can use SAM-BA/PROG.

I'm about to design a board and its creation could be improved if 2 ideas were implemented:

1) Is there a way to debug without the sam-ice interface (j-tag)? It would be really helpful if I could use USB or COM connections to do that.

2) How can I do a USB/COM flash programming without the manual erase needed to clear the GPNWM bit ? Again, it would be helpful and faster if I could compile and directly program the flash....

Hope someone can give an assistance in any of the doubts.....

Thanks in advance...

Sylvio
gerhardf

Re: flash programming and debugging

Tue May 19, 2009 1:56 pm

1) Is there a way to debug without the sam-ice interface (j-tag)? It would be really helpful if I could use USB or COM connections to do that.
afaik no
2) How can I do a USB/COM flash programming without the manual erase needed to clear the GPNWM bit ? Again, it would be helpful and faster if I could compile and directly program the flash....
what's the problem with using j-tag for debugging?

if you look for a quick flash programming solution through j-tag use openocd.

regards
gerhard
sylvio

Tue May 19, 2009 2:27 pm

what's the problem with using j-tag for debugging?

if you look for a quick flash programming solution through j-tag use openocd.
The problem is that after designing the board, We are going to work simultaneously in 3 prototypes. However, we have only 1 sam-ice j-tag..

Thanks gerhardf..

Sylvio
gerhardf

Tue May 19, 2009 3:08 pm

sylvio wrote: The problem is that after designing the board, We are going to work simultaneously in 3 prototypes. However, we have only 1 sam-ice j-tag..
maybe the olimex arm-usb-ocd is a cheaper alternative to the sam-ice.

regards
gerhard

Return to “Development Tools”