EDBG Port USART on SAMC21-XPRO and SAMD21-XPRO

Moderator: nferre

oberstar

EDBG Port USART on SAMC21-XPRO and SAMD21-XPRO

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:11 pm

I’m trying to get the USART portion of the EDBG USB port to work. I should be able to connect a terminal program to the COM port it enumerates to correct?

I cannot seem to connect and get the simple echo example program to work using the "Quick Start for the SAM SERCOM USART Driver (Polled) - SAMC21 Xplained Pro" (or the SAMD21 flavor) example project using ASF 3.26.0. I am able to vector this to another SERCOM module and see a bitstream coming out of the correct pin. Is there anything special one needs to do to get this virtual com port over the EDBG to work? I can step through the code and it seems like its configuring the SERCOM properly but I don’t get any response when I send characters via a terminal program connected to the EDBG virtual com port and don’t even receive the Hello World startup string - & yes I’ve validated the baud rate, # start/stop bits and parity.

This same behavior occurs on both the SAMD21-XPRO and the SAMC21-XPRO.

Thank you in advance.

Erick
cwunder

Re: EDBG Port USART on SAMC21-XPRO and SAMD21-XPRO

Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:13 pm

The UART pins on the EDBG are tri-stated when no terminal program is connected to the Virtual COM Port on the computer. The user needs (terminal program) to assert the DTR signal.

-Chris
oberstar

Re: EDBG Port USART on SAMC21-XPRO and SAMD21-XPRO

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Thanks - I found a DTR button indicator in the terminal v1.93b by Br@y++ near the Transmit tab (along the bottom) that I can toggle from gray to green that allowed it to start working.

Return to “SAM9-based”