SAM3X evaluation board with ethernet

Moderator: nferre

chad

SAM3X evaluation board with ethernet

Thu May 09, 2013 5:22 am

I am considering using the SAM3X8E device, but before committing to it I want to quickly evaluate it and the Atmel Studio tools to see if the products meet my expectations.

At the moment 9 MAY 2013 there is no such board available, also there does not seem to be a large amount of stock of devices so I have to delay
my design decision.

Is anyone able to advise when such a board will become available? I cannot find any alternative other than Arduino due which was cheap but has no ethernet.
noam.roth82@gmail.com

Re: SAM3X evaluation board with ethernet

Thu May 09, 2013 3:17 pm

There is supposed to be an evaluation board for this family of processors (SAM3X-EK evaluation kit) but I haven't managed to find one in stock anywhere.

I've been using the Arduino Due but so far I've only been able to work with the Arduino tool. I haven't tried programming it with the SAM-ICE yet.

I've built a home-made evaluation board for the SAM3A4C, but so far I've not been able to access programming mode. If and when I do, I'll be happy to share my schematic.
apluscw

Re: SAM3X evaluation board with ethernet

Thu May 09, 2013 5:51 pm

chad wrote:I am considering using the SAM3X8E device, but before committing to it I want to quickly evaluate it and the Atmel Studio tools to see if the products meet my expectations.

At the moment 9 MAY 2013 there is no such board available, also there does not seem to be a large amount of stock of devices so I have to delay
my design decision.

Is anyone able to advise when such a board will become available? I cannot find any alternative other than Arduino due which was cheap but has no ethernet.
The SAM3X-EK board is no longer in production. You might try asking your FAE if they can locate one. Atmel appears to be moving away from the M3 to the M4 core, so one might expect a "SAM4X" to come along and replace the SAM3X, like we saw with the SAM3S to SAM4S migration. No official word, however, confirming it will happen and when. (While chatting with your FAE, you might see if he/she has caught wind of an upcoming "SAM4X" "off the record".)

BTW, if you happen to be choosing the SAM3X to get host USB capability, I can confirm that the SAM4LC does have that capability, though it is definitely a lower end device.

Return to “SAM9-based”