AT91SAM9G20-EK DataFlash

Moderator: nferre

colingd

AT91SAM9G20-EK DataFlash

Wed May 02, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the AT91 community, it seems there's a lot of info here. This is encouraging, to see a potential source of information from other users experience.
So I have some doubt's regarding the AT91SAM9G20-EK board. I have to use one to start developing a firmware as soon as possible, the one I have is revision C. I tried to follow the instructions shipped in the CD and looking for missing info on AT91 wiki.
My goal so far is simple. I want to boot arbitrary software. I've understood that that to do that I first need to boot AT91Bootstrap and then the software that I've produced in the accurate format is booted by AT91Bootstrap by copying it in right address of external sram (address is 0x8400, I believe). I'm offered two options, if get it well, either use the DataFlash (on chip ROM, is that correct?) or the NAND Flash (on board).
At this point, I don't have any preference for using either possibility so I've tried both.
I use SAM-BA 2.18.
When I tried to use DataFlash I followed instructions from and Atmel Document, possibly outdated.
  • Open jumpers 33 and 34.
  • Plug in power
  • Connect to host computer through USB
  • Close previously opened jumpers 33 and 34
  • Run samba
  • Select DataFlash tab
  • Choose Enable DataFlash (CS 1) form the drop down menu
  • start script
At this point SAM-BA fails with an unclear message telling unable to load applet :

Code: Select all

-E- Script error: Error Initializing DataFlash Applet (Can't detect known device)
When I try to use the NAND flash, the flashing process works but, the program that I've compiled does not seem to be run. The executable that I wrote does work as it can be loaded directly on th SDRAM at address 0x20000000 and works as expected.
Me being unfamiliar with the board and the toolset to flash SAM9 MCUs makes me think that I'm most likely missing something. I've looked on the forum for useful information however, I'm overwhelmed with the amount of information and can't find my way out. Could someone point me towards some interesting site or document that could make it easier to solve my problem? It's been over a week... hehe.

Thank you in advance!

Colin
colingd

AT91SAM9G20-EK

Wed May 02, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi all,

First I want to thank you all for the community, I'm new to it and I'm sure that all the information that I'll find here will be critical in order to figure out my way on the road of AT91 programming. So I contact you because I'm wishing to use an old AT91SAM9G20-EK board that I've found. So it seems that the reason why it was abandoned is because the onboard DataFlash is missing form the board for some reason.
I understand this was inconvenient for previous users however, I believe that the kit is still usable! According to the AT91SAM9G20 MCU datasheet, the embedded ROM has a bootloader that looks for other bootable media and writes it to the sram, should no media be found it shall load or run SAM-BA boot. However I've tried using NAND Flash and the SD Card (on both slots) but I've managed to make it work. Most likely I'm missing something but I haven't found the right documentation to use the NAND Flash or SD Card to boot. Could someone help understand how to manage this?

Thank you in advance,

Colin
blue_z

Re: AT91SAM9G20-EK DataFlash

Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 pm

colingd wrote:I'm offered two options, if get it well, either use the DataFlash (on chip ROM, is that correct?) or the NAND Flash (on board).
Check the board's User Guide and/or schematics (there's more than "two options").
The Dataflash is a discrete IC separate from the SoC; it's a type of flash obviously, and not ROM.

colingd wrote:When I try to use the NAND flash, the flashing process works but, the program that I've compiled does not seem to be run. The executable that I wrote does work as it can be loaded directly on th SDRAM at address 0x20000000 and works as expected.
You're too vague as to what you have done to provide any advice.
Did you following the plan that you previously laid out,
I've understood that that to do that I first need to boot AT91Bootstrap and then the software that I've produced
Or are you trying to directly boot your standalone program?

Study this thread: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=26002

Regards
colingd

Re: AT91SAM9G20-EK DataFlash

Thu May 03, 2018 11:10 am

Hello blue_z,

Thank you for your advice ! I managed to get it working! I did not expect to get it to work ;) I was doing the same mistake that the user who started the topice that you shared with me. Silly me...

Anyway thanks!

Regards,

Colin

Return to “SAM9-based”