(SamE70XPLD freshman) What's your assessment of AtmelStudio?

Discussions around product based on ARM Cortex M7 core.
This forum will be discontinued soon.

Moderator: nferre

Ragnar

(SamE70XPLD freshman) What's your assessment of AtmelStudio?

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi all,

being about to start with a SamE70 XPLD board, I would like to ask a few questions.
While not new to MCUs and Cortex M in general, I have very few experience with Atmel SAM devices, so please bear with me.

The first question is about Atmel Studio.
Having heard about painful experiences with version 6, what about the current version 7 ?
The points of criticism I read for V6 were startup time, GUI behavior (sluggish reactions), build time and resource usage.
Is version 7 better in this regard ?

As a follow-up - is anyone aware of a IDE/toolchain running under Linux, which supports the EDBG ?
I use Rowley Crossworks, which supports multiple silicons (including the SamE70), but no EDBG.
I guess I would have to live with an external debug pod then. Just want to avoid different IDEs or even a different OS for one family.

The next question is about ASF.
I have downloaded the SAME70-XPLD Software Package V1.5 (GNU version), and noticed that there is no reference to CMSIS.
So ASF (for Cortex M) seems not based on CMSIS - correct ?

I appreciate any help & and comments.
Ragnar

Re: (SamE70XPLD freshman) What's your assessment of AtmelStu

Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:18 am

... is anyone aware of a IDE/toolchain running under Linux, which supports the EDBG ?
I use Rowley Crossworks, which supports multiple silicons (including the SamE70), but no EDBG.
As it turned out, the EDBG interface is basically a CMSIS-DAP (with Atmel-specific addons), and as such supported by most toolchains, including Crossworks.
Not sure why Atmel does not communicate this fact more openly...
Ragnar

Re: (SamE70XPLD freshman) What's your assessment of AtmelStu

Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:53 am

Hmmmmm.... Almost three weeks, and no response. And an average of about two posts per month.
Does that tell something about the size of the Samx7 community, and it's activity ? Might think so.

Or do staff and users collectively await Microchip-DOOM ???

BTW, not too much impressed by AtmelStudio.
The GUI design and style of VS is a matter of taste - (still hate it).
Editor functionality, responsiveness and build speed are o.k., and comparable to other IDEs.
Extracting projects and sources on-demand makes the project browser and creation rather slow.
More important, only the necessary sources and headers are extracted, and the structure of the ASF components is left in the dark (and undocumented).
Even more, checked several "device packs" and "source kits" for the Same70 revealed a different structure for each.

Conclusion:
Have downloaded the full ASF source, deleted all atmega/xmega/uc3 stuff, and stay with Crossworks.

Return to “SAM Cortex-M7 MCU”