M7 with external memory

Discussions around product based on ARM Cortex M7 core.

Moderator: nferre

rafabqn

M7 with external memory

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a long time PIC user but now I want to switch to Cortex M7 for several reasons. As far as Ive seen Atmel is one of the best ARM microcontrollers manufacturers when it comes to documentation and support. Do you agree?

The reason Im switching to cortex M7 is because I want a more powerful core and I need more program memory than the standard 2MBytes found on top of the line microcontrollers.

I understand that there are some Atmel M7 MCUs which have the address and data bus available so one could add tens of megabytes of NOR memory and run the program from this external device.

Where can I learn how this interface works? How to make the program run from the external flash?
Any article or books you recommend?
Thanks
Rafael
joshw

Re: M7 with external memory

Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:34 am

I believe you're referring to the quad SPI bus. This is the same as "normal" SPI, it just has 4 data lines which share the same clock. You can buy NOR Flash chips from multiple vendors which will operate at ~320 Mbps. I suggest looking at the datasheet of one of those NOR chips, such as the Micron N25Q family. At a quick glance, it looks like the maximum speed for the SAMV71 QSPI clock is 66 MHz, or ~266Mbps, slightly less due to overhead.
Josh @ CIHOLAS Inc

Return to “SAM Cortex-M7 MCU”