SAMV71 Xplained - shows up as "Unknown board" in AtmelStudio

Discussions around product based on ARM Cortex M7 core.

Moderator: nferre

clone45

SAMV71 Xplained - shows up as "Unknown board" in AtmelStudio

Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:10 pm

Hello!

I'm quite new to Atmel Studio and the SAMV71, so this might be a trivial question. I followed the simple instructions on the back of the Xplained Ultra package:

1. Download Atmel Studio.
2. Launch it.
3. Connect a USB cable to the DEBUG USB port

When I do this, AtmelStudio appears to recognize the board. The title of the IDE window changes to "SAM V71 Xplained Ultra - 2979. But under the side menu "MCU board", it states "Unknown Board", and says,
"This board is not supported by this version of the Atmel Kits extension. To update the extension, go to the Atmel Gallery."
Is this a problem? Or is this something that I can ignore?

In my device manager, the Atmel Corp. EDBG USB Port appears and seems to be working properly. There's also a section in the device manager called "Atmel", and under that are EDBG Data Gateway and EDBG Debugger, which also both look healthy.

I suppose my question is: What are the minimum steps I need to take to upload an example program to the board? (Is there some sort of blinking light demo or something?)

Cheers,
Bret
clone45

Re: SAMV71 Xplained - shows up as "Unknown board" in AtmelSt

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:23 pm

I solved my initial problem but have a follow up question. I fixed the "Unknown board" message by going under Tools/Extension Manager, searching for "kit", and updating my AtmelKits extension.

However, another problem has cropped up. When in Device Programming, the device is listed as:

Tool: EDBG
Device (unsupported): ATSAMV71Q21
Interface: [blank]

And I get an error message, "Unable to get device for device name 'ATSAMV71Q21'. Any suggestions?
Pradeep

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:13 pm

Use SWD interface instead of JTAG.
Cortex M7 supports only SWD interface. JTAG is available only for boundary scan.
clone45

Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:55 pm

Thanks Pradeep. For someone who's very new to this, where can I find information about programming the board using the SWD interface? Do I need an external programmer to do that - and if so, where would I purchase one?
Pradeep

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:42 am

Hello,

SWD is an ARM initiated interface - you can find details at - http://www.arm.com/products/system-ip/d ... -debug.php

Do you have a SAMV71 Xplained ultra with you? If so, it has an "embedded debugger" in it. Atmel Studio 6.2 / 7 and a micro-usb cable is sufficient for programming & debugging.

In case you have your own board, you can use Atmel SAM-ICE, Segger Jlink, KEIL ULINK as possible options for debuggers. Kindly refer to Xplained Ultra schematics for hardware details and also SAM V71 / E70 datasheet for the Pin details. The E70 datasheet has a schematics cheklist too.
clone45

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:43 pm

Pradeep, thanks for sticking with me. I do have a SAMV71 Explained ultra board. And I have a micro-usb cable. And Atmel Studio recognizes my chip when I plug it in. The issue again is:

When in Device Programming, the device is listed as:

Tool: EDBG
Device (unsupported): ATSAMV71Q21
Interface: [blank]

And I get an error message, "Unable to get device for device name 'ATSAMV71Q21'.

Thanks again,
Bret
ybp

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:38 am

Hello Bert,

can you kindly confirm if the Interface is not a "drop-down"?

Kindly use the "command line" utility atprogram.exe to check connections. In windows Start Menu, Go to "All Programs -> Atmel. Click on Atmel Studio 6.2 Command Prompt.

In the cmd window, type the below commands.

atprogram -t edbg -i swd -d atsamv71q21 -xr chiperase
atprogram -t edbg -i swd -d atsamv71q21 -xr program -f <file>

<file> You can use the soft-pack and build any example project.

Let me know if you are able to do a chip erase & if successful program a file.

regards,
Pradeep
ybp

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:43 am

clone45

Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:13 pm

ybp, thanks so much for your assistance.

The interface selection within AtmelStudio is a dropdown, but it is empty:

I followed your instructions and ran atprogram, but it doesn't seem to be happy:
C:\Users\Bret\Documents>atprogram -t edbg -i swd -d atsamv71q21 -xr chiperase
Firmware check OK
[ERROR] Could not set device properties. Make sure you have selected correct device and interface, and that the hardware connections are correct.
I also followed your link concerning driver issues, but those instructions are a bit difficult for me to understand. If you could help me select which instructions to follow, it would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks so much for your perseverance!
ybp

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:54 am

can you uninstall of your Studio 6.2 and install the Studio 6.2 sp2(build 1563) version again?

it should detect both your kit and device without problems when you connect it.

Can you confirm the WIN OS you are running?

Return to “SAM Cortex-M7 MCU”