rootfs error on ATSAMA5D27-SOM1-EK

Moderator: nferre

markch2

rootfs error on ATSAMA5D27-SOM1-EK

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:14 am

I have followed the instructions found at:

and the video at Micro Chip design center called "linux os for MPUS".

I followed these instructions using the file linux4sam-poky-sama5d27_som1_ek-6.0.img.bz2. The MD5 checksum matched the one listed on the page. I used Balena Etcher to create a boot card on a 64GB SDXC speed class 10 card. I repeated the attempt using a Lexar 64GB SDXC speed class 10 card in case the first card was bad and I got the same results. I also checked the card and the first sector is MBR. I read the MBR and the last two bytes are confirmed to be 0x55 0xAA.

After pressing reset with the SD card in slot J12 ( the full size slot) I get the following in my terminal

Code: Select all

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)
---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)
random: fast init done
random: crng init done
It seems to recognize my card as being an extended capacity card, and it recognizes my board. Does anyone have any thoughts on this error? Any help would be appreciated.

This message was redacted because the board was giving me guff about the message being spam due to contacts. I will add more detail later when I find out what the board is angry about.
blue_z

Re: rootfs error on ATSAMA5D27-SOM1-EK

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:14 am

A Google search indicates that many (RPi) users resolve this same issue by performing a fsck on the relevant partition.

Could you have done something to corrupt the root filesystem (e.g. fail to unmount it)?

Regards
markch2

Re: rootfs error on ATSAMA5D27-SOM1-EK

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:17 pm

Thanks for the reply, but this took a weird turn.

The fsck suggestion didn't pan out. However, this morning a very helpful support engineer from Microchip stopped by my office with a known working SD card in hand. We put it on my board and got the same error. He had a replacement board in hand, and we tried that and it worked first time. He left me with the replacement board and the SD card, and took away the failed board.

I then burned a couple other SD cards with different images of different demo builds (yocto with and without LCD screen) and they all worked.

So the answer was, "bad development board".

Return to “SAMA5-based”