SAMA5D3-XPLAINED OS Upload Problem

Moderator: nferre

Bader97

SAMA5D3-XPLAINED OS Upload Problem

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi,

I have recently started using the SAMA5D3 XPLAINED board and followed the procedure on linux4sam to flash the board with a demo.
One of the things I did was "erase all" and so I no longer have an operating system on my board, and so cannot use any serial terminal emulator (PuTTY, GtkTerm, ....) to actually communicate with the board and connect it to my network.
I cannot use the SD card every time to boot as this is very impractical.
I would like some help with uploading an operating system onto the board. I tried using the Yocto/Poky demo for Nandflash, and it uploads fully, but when I connect using PuTTY, I am not prompted to login.
Please help me :(

I am currently using Ubuntu 18.xx and would really appreciate any help! Thanks.
blue_z

Re: SAMA5D3-XPLAINED OS Upload Problem

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:41 pm

Bader97 wrote: I cannot use the SD card every time to boot as this is very impractical.
Why?

Bader97 wrote: I would like some help with uploading [sic] an operating system onto the board.
You need to be more discerning than "operating system".
There are many ways to (individually) transfer and install the salient components of boot programs, the kernel, Device Tree blob, and root filesystem image.

BTW you could upload to a server, but you would download to a target board such as a SAMA5D3 Xplained. The verbs are hierarchic al rather than directional, contrary to popular PC (mis)use.

Bader97 wrote: I tried using the Yocto/Poky demo for Nandflash, and it uploads [sic] fully, but when I connect using PuTTY, I am not prompted to login.
Isn't the console connection your actual problem?

Regards
Bader97

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Let me start by saying that this is the first time I work on Ubuntu in my life, as well as being my first Linux use. I am still pretty new and am not fully familiar with all the terms.
I am saying its impractical because the work I am doing on this one Sama5d3 Xplained is going to be applied on tens and maybe hundreds of them, and so cannot purchase so many SD cards for each and every one.

By operating system, I would prefer to have the board operate on either Ubuntu or Debian, but if that is not possible I can settle for the Yocto. Also, I do not understand anything from your BTW :( .

My problem is that after I erased the whole memory, I cannot seem to be able to get the Yocto project back on the board like it was before (without the need of an SD card).

Even though I have done exactly the same procedure as several online guides, including Linux4Sam, and even the Atmel Getting Started pdf that comes with the board.

I already have the boot files, kernel, and many more things on standby. But every time I upload them onto Nandflash in the specified locations (according to the Sama5d3 Xplained Nandflash map), I cannot get the old, or new operating system, to actually connect to me through PuTTY or GtkTerm.

All your help is highly appreciated, and I'm sorry I talked a lot just trying to provide you with as much info as I can.

Thank you!
blue_z

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:39 pm

Bader97 wrote: Also, I do not understand anything from your BTW :( .
Okay, in plain language, you have it backwards.
Your SAMA5D3 Xplained board is not a server, so you download (not "upload") files to it.

Bader97 wrote: My problem is that after I erased the whole memory, I cannot seem to be able to get the Yocto project back on the board like it was before (without the need of an SD card).

Even though I have done exactly the same procedure as several online guides, including Linux4Sam, and even the Atmel Getting Started pdf that comes with the board.

I already have the boot files, kernel, and many more things on standby. But every time I upload them onto Nandflash in the specified locations (according to the Sama5d3 Xplained Nandflash map), I cannot get the old, or new operating system, to actually connect to me through PuTTY or GtkTerm.
Your summations have no details to suggest advice.

Do you even have a proper serial connection for the console?
See this post.

Regards
rob1599

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Easy fix. Just get this download:

ftp://www.at91.com/pub/demo/linux4sam_6 ... ed-6.0.zip

Once unzipped follow directions here:

https://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view ... edMainPage

These steps must be done in order:

Open JP5 to disable NAND Flash memory access
Press BP2 reset button to boot from on-chip Boot ROM
Close JP5 to enable NAND Flash memory access

make sure that the sam-ba application is in your Operating System path so that you can reach it from your demo package directory
for Microsoft Windows users: Launch the demo_linux_nandflash.bat file
for Linux users: Launch the demo_linux_nandflash.sh file
Bader97

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:30 pm

First of all, thank you for the different answers.
Unfortunately Rob, I have already tried this method but haven't succeeded.
In terms of a serial connector (DBGU) I do not have one yet, and was trying to communicate to the board using the micro-USB input (USB-A). This is because when I first used the board, I was able to communicate with it through PuTTY, but after "erasing all" from Nandflash, I have lost that. Using the pre-built version from Linux4Sam runs and "downloads" successfully, but I still cannot communicate through PuTTY, as I am not prompted to log into the board after a reboot.
Thanks all.

Return to “SAMA5-based”