Recovering sama5d27-som1-ek after erase

Moderator: nferre

lquasar

Recovering sama5d27-som1-ek after erase

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:50 am

Hello everyone,

Got a problem for which i could not find any solution online.

I was working on sama5d27-som1-ek board any by accident shorted jumper J8

Form User's guide it is stated that:

J8: Erases SAM3U firmware code (closed=erase at power-up)

After that, /dev/ttyACM0 port is not present and i could not use sam-ba tools for Linux.

I am not quite sure if only SAM3U firmware is erased or device is completely bricked. If it is possible how to recover board to state in which it was shipped by Atmel.

I also have Atmel SAM-ICE Jtag by Segger.

If anyone have any clue how to access EK board again it would be very helpful.

Best regards
lquasar

Re: Recovering sama5d27-som1-ek after erase

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:32 am

Update:

USB Connector J17 for sam-ba loader is working. It seems that under Linux USB port was blocked due high power consumption.

Problem remains with sam3u which does not contain firmware anymore. With that IAR can't load software into sram for execution.

Regards
nferre
Site Admin

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:27 pm

Hi,

SAM3U contains J-link on board sw from Segger. Maybe you can find information on their website on how to re-flash the component.

In parallel, you can fill-in a support case on Microchip's side.
http://support.microchip.com
And clicking on "My Support" then the "My Cases" button.
Best regards
blue_z

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:47 am

lquasar wrote: I am not quite sure if only SAM3U firmware is erased or device is completely bricked.
Your board is not bricked because the the SAM3 is a bonus chip that is not necessary for the operation of the SAMA5D2 SOM .
The two functions that the SAM3 would provide have workarounds.

The loss of the J-Link-OB capability can be replaced with the SAM-ICE that you already have.

The loss of the USB-CDC connection for the serial DBGU port can be replaced with direct access to the UART pins (PD2 and PD3). These 3.3V TTL-level signals will require a USB-to-serial-TTL converter/cable.
This workaround is complicated by the apparent lack of a DBGU port header (which is installed on Xplained boards). Instead you'll have to solder flying leads from the SOM or at U5 & U6.
An advantage of using the UART interface of the DBGU instead of the USB-CDC is that the host PC will not complain when the target board is powered up ("minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyACM0: No such file or directory") or when reset or power cycled or disconnected ("Cannot open /dev/ttyACM0!").

Regards
lquasar

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Guys thank you for all your help.

By soldering flying leads to U5 and U6, and setting J9 jumper with using SAM-ICE and setting jumper J7 everything worked fine.

I received answer from microchip support and they told me that fw for sam3u is under licence and they can't send us image for it. Also only way to re-flash it is to send the board to their official sales office (Kinda bad, because of customs etc.). Why would they put erase jumper for erasing firmware is unclear if there is no way to recover it, but everything works now so it is fine.

Thanks again for all the support

Return to “SAMA5-based”