Right way to change default device tree blob

Moderator: nferre

user5673

Right way to change default device tree blob

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:09 pm

I use latest Buildroot from git master to build image for SAMA5D2 XPLAINED PRO board and want to use custom device tree file instead of default "at91-sama5d2_xplained". I've changed buildroot configuration in this way

BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_USE_CUSTOM_CONFIG =y

BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_CUSTOM_DTS_PATH="$(BR2_EXTERNAL_SAMA5D_OPENTHREAD_NODE_PATH)/at91-sama5d2_xplained_at86rf230.dts"

in uboot config

CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEVICE_TREE="at91-sama5d2_xplained_at86rf230"

After starting "make" custom device tree is copied into u-boot sources by Buildroot, but u-boot fails to build with this configuration:

Code: Select all

Device Tree Source is not correctly specified.
Please define 'CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEVICE_TREE'
or build with 'DEVICE_TREE=<device_tree>' argument
Any ideas?
blue_z

Re: Right way to change default device tree blob

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 am

user5673 wrote:I use latest Buildroot from git master ...
If you're not doing a 'git pull' every day, then you probably do not have the "latest" as you claim.
Unless you're going to submit patches to the Buildroot project or there's some new feature that you must have, IMO you would be better off simply downloading a stable release or the long-term-support release.

user5673 wrote:in uboot config
What is this?

user5673 wrote:...but u-boot fails to build with this configuration:
Show more context than just the minimal error message.

user5673 wrote:Any ideas?
Did you try a 'make uboot-menuconfig', and then inspect/confirm that your Buildroot specifications were installed?

FWIW I've always built U-Boot (and AT91Bootstrap) separately from Buildroot since they're completely independent (and I prefer to use a different toolchain). The DT in U-Boot is going to complicate that.

Regards

Return to “SAMA5-based”