Custom driver

For SAMA5D2 Xplained, SAMA5D3 Xplained and SAMA5D4 Xplained

Moderator: nferre

zdhovey2000

Custom driver

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34 am

We're considering the SAMA5DX series (in particular, the SAMA5D44) for our next design and we're curious if any of these ideas are possible or something which requires a high-level of expertise to accomplish. I'm new to both Linux and MPU's, but I have been researching this for about a week now, but I've really struggled to find these types of macro-level questions.

1. We have a custom module which we would need to build the driver for. Everything I have been able to find indicates that it must be made for the Linux kernel, but can anyone point me in the right direction to research this better?

2. Do you think it would be possible to run (2) separate WILC1000 Wi-Fi modules on the eval board?

3. Has anyone been able to install a desktop or desktop-like view on the SAMA5DX series?

4. Lastly, we don't have IAR yet, but has anyone been able to interface the eval board with an IDE like Eclipse?

Cheers!
blue_z

Re: Custom driver

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:31 am

zdhovey2000 wrote:1. We have a custom module which we would need to build the driver for. Everything I have been able to find indicates that it must be made for the Linux kernel, but can anyone point me in the right direction to research this better?
You'll find a lot of advocates (esp. non-professionals) for userspace drivers, e.g. just search the web. But IMO for resource management, security and portability, the kernel driver is typically the proper implementation. For proof-of-concept and/or initial HW testing, a userspace driver can be optimal. But a product going into production is another situation.
zdhovey2000 wrote:3. Has anyone been able to install a desktop or desktop-like view on the SAMA5DX series?
Do you mean an application with a GUI, or a GUI environment like a PC?
Didn't your Atmel SAMA5Dx board have a pre-installed demo with a GUI interface?

Regards

Return to “SAMA5 Xplained”