SAMA5D3 Unique ID for code anti-cloning

For SAMA5D2 Xplained, SAMA5D3 Xplained and SAMA5D4 Xplained

Moderator: nferre

alevenov

SAMA5D3 Unique ID for code anti-cloning

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:07 am

Hello All,
I am using SAMA5D3 Xplained Kit for developing my application. Is there any Unique Hardware ID (e.g Unique chip ID, Mac Address etc.) that can be used for code anti-cloning. Is it possible to achieve said task without using Atmel Secure Boot option?.

Note: Chip ID currently available is same for all SAMA5D3 Xplained boards and GMAC/EMAC Address reset's to zero upon power up

For Secure Boot,I have tried to contact atmel India,southchinahk,northchina and asean but my mail didn't get delivered.

Regards
Ahmed
blue_z

Re: SAMA5D3 Unique ID for code anti-cloning

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:50 pm

alevenov wrote:I am using SAMA5D3 Xplained Kit for developing my application. Is there any Unique Hardware ID (e.g Unique chip ID, Mac Address etc.) that can be used for code anti-cloning.
Since the SoC has no serial number or unique ID number, the easiest solution would be to install an EEPROM on the board.
The Xplained board already has pads for two 1-wire EEPROMs.
Both suggested Maxim chips have a unique 64-bit registration number. Or you could program your own serial number, and then write-protect it.
Refer to section 4.2.8 Optional 1-Wire EEPROM in the Xplained User guide.

Regards
alevenov

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:23 am

Thanku very much for a timely response. Will try it and get back. One last thing, I shall be grateful if you direct me to atmel FAE for Secure Boot option as well.

Thanks and Regards
Ahmed
blue_z

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:15 am

alevenov wrote:One last thing, I shall be grateful if you direct me to atmel FAE for Secure Boot option as well.
I have no special contacts to FAEs, nor any information on Secure Boot.

Regards
alevenov

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:42 am

Thanks a lot

Regards
Alevenov
zdhovey2000

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:13 am

Wouldn't preventing eval board like any of these Xplained series from being partially cloned defeat the purpose of them? I would think that their goal is to sell as many processors as possible, so anything they can do to facilitate the path from concept, design, to production would seem to me to be their main concern, not worrying whether a developer copied their hardware config and packages. I could be completely wrong, if I am, PLEASE, someone correct me.
blue_z

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:56 pm

zdhovey2000 wrote:Wouldn't preventing eval board like any of these Xplained series from being partially cloned defeat the purpose of them? ... I could be completely wrong, if I am, PLEASE, someone correct me.
Only the OP can definitively describe his intent, but I had assumed that this was to deter firmware piracy. The OP is developing an application (i.e. software), and he would want to protect his intellectual property, not Atmel's.

Regards

Return to “SAMA5 Xplained”