Device Can't boot from SD when Serial Flash is erased

For SAMA5D2 Xplained, SAMA5D3 Xplained and SAMA5D4 Xplained

Moderator: nferre

Yuval

Device Can't boot from SD when Serial Flash is erased

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:39 am

Hi.
I see a strange phenomenon that is not goes by the datasheet: the device not booting from SD after erasing the Serial Flash.

I have SAMA5D2 Xplained board and i'm doing the following:
1. Turn on the the board without SD with the BOOT_DIS jumper that prevents booting
2. Using sam-ba tool, erasing all the serial flash.
3. Power - OFF
3. Insert SD with a valid image with all the SW
4. Power - ON

On the console i don't see anything.
When i try erasing the flash again using sam-ba it is successfully doing it, what tells me that the device is running the sam-ba monitor code from the device ROM (instead of booting from SD, as I expect).

Now I take off the SD, Power Off & ON, and writing the bootloaders to the flash so it is able to boot fine from serial flash (verifiyed).
1. Doing Power - OFF
2. Insert SD
3. Booting from SD successfully

According to the boot strategies the device should try boot from the SD before the SPI Flash, and I see it is doing that well when the SPI Flash has valid software,
so I wonder why the device is not booting from SD when the serial flash is erased?

Maybe the device can't boot the AT91Bootstrap from SD for some reason?
How can i verify that the device is booting the AT91Bootstrap from SD (for the case i put the SD in and it works)?

Thanks
blue_z

Re: Device Can't boot from SD when Serial Flash is erased

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:15 am

Yuval wrote:I see a strange phenomenon that is not goes by the datasheet:
Describing an issue as " strange " doesn't add any salient information. All it really means is that you don't understand it.
Yuval wrote:Maybe the device can't boot the AT91Bootstrap from SD for some reason?
If you read the Boot Strategies section carefully, you might notice that there's a "Boot Configuration Word".
So unless SDcard booting is explicitly disabled by the configuration word, the only other reasons that prevent the SAMA5D2-XULT from booting from SDcard are (a) inserting a SDcard that is not actually bootable, and (b) the SDcard interface is broken on your board.
Yuval wrote:How can i verify that the device is booting the AT91Bootstrap from SD (for the case i put the SD in and it works)?
Read the output from the (assigned?) serial console (e.g. the Debug port?).
The source device should be reported by AT91Bootstrap in (grammatically challenged) English, e.g.

Code: Select all

AT91Bootstrap 3.8.5 (Tue Apr 19 16:06:42 PDT 2016)
SD/MMC: Done to load image
versus

Code: Select all

AT91Bootstrap 3.7.1-00002-g9894262 (Tue Nov  4 16:16:21 CST 2014)  
NAND: Done to load image 
The fact that you ask this question essentially invalidates your description/analysis of your problem.
In all likelihood your SDcard is not properly setup for booting (i.e. it fails the "boot.bin File Check"), since your claims of "SD with a valid image with all the SW" and "Booting from SD successfully" are unconfirmed (i.e. you've provided no evidence).

Regards

ADDENDUM

If you happen to be using the SAMA5D2 MRL-B part, then you're subject to an errata.
The card detect pin is not correctly sampled in the ROM code, which leads to a
nondeterministic boot ability on the SDMMC0/SDMMC1 interfaces (SDCard or eMMC).
Refer to the datasheet for details.

Return to “SAMA5 Xplained”