Sama5d2 demo for nand flash

For SAMA5D2 Xplained, SAMA5D3 Xplained and SAMA5D4 Xplained

Moderator: nferre

Bens

Sama5d2 demo for nand flash

Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:31 pm

How can i burn to NAND flash, the demo system (yocto or poky) to Sama5d27 Xplained board?

The demo files on site for Sama5d2 Xplained are intended for one of these options:
1. Boot on SPI Flash + rootfs on SD Card
2. All on SD Card image
Bens

Re: Sama5d2 demo for nand flash

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:52 pm

I am also interested in burning the entire Sama5d2 demo (boot+rootfs) to SPI Flash.
This could be a possible solution instead of burning to NAND Flash, although NAND would obviously be preferable.
blue_z

Re: Sama5d2 demo for nand flash

Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:22 am

Bens wrote:How can i burn to NAND flash, the demo system (yocto or poky) to Sama5d27 Xplained board?
By "NAND flash" you are presumably referring to the eMMC device installed on the SAMA5D2-XULT
That board has no raw NAND flash like on other Atmel SAM9 and SAMA5 boards.
At the very least you would have to build new AT91Bootstrap and U-Boot configured to use the eMMC, and fix-up the bootargs in the U-Boot environment.
Otherwise the other binaries in the zip archive could be suitable for writing to eMMC.
Booting Linux from SDcard, creating a partition & vfat filesystem for booting, and creating a partition & ext4 filesystem for the rootfs is the simplest path.
Bens wrote:I am also interested in burning the entire Sama5d2 demo (boot+rootfs) to SPI Flash.
Obviously you haven't done any homework.
The Demo rootfs as a compressed tarball is already 31 times larger than the capacity of the Dataflash (i.e. 125MB versus 4MB)!

BTW There is no chemical reaction involved when writing to flash, so "burn" is a inaccurate verb.

Regards

Return to “SAMA5 Xplained”