Moderator: nferre

bdohler

Demo Image Failure

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:55 pm

I've flashed my SAMA5D3 board with the demo image available at:

linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/Sama5d3XplainedMainPage

The demo image is:

linux4sam-poky-sama5d3_xplained-5.4.zip

I saw a note that the build was stable. Similar to the QML script in the zip file, I enabled and cleared the NandFlash before loading the files. I used the memory map listed on the same page. I read the files back off the Xplained from the given location and they all match.

The issue that is on power cycling or using the reset button, the board returns begins execution from the flash on the SAMA5D3, as if I had the nandflash jumper open. However, it is not.

Why isn't it booting the Linux kernel?

Thanks for the help.
blue_z

Re: Demo Image Failure

Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:16 am

bdohler wrote:I used the memory map listed on the same page.
That would seem to imply that you didn't use the supplied qml script.
But you don't bother to describe what you actually did.
So you expect us to read your mind or guess what you did, and know/guess how you managed to do this incorrectly?
bdohler wrote:The issue that is on power cycling or using the reset button, the board returns begins execution from the flash on the SAMA5D3, as if I had the nandflash jumper open.
So instead of simply describing the actual symptoms, you provide your (contradictory) interpretation and an analogy.
NAND flash is not capable of XIP, so there is simply no "execution from the flash".
If NAND CS is disconnected, then the NAND flash would not be accessible at all, much less "begin(s) execution from the flash".
bdohler wrote:I read the files back off the Xplained from the given location and they all match..
For a WAG, this probably indicates the problem.
You should not have an image of AT91Bootstrap at NAND location 0.
The requirement is a NAND parameter header at location 0.

Regards
bdohler

Re: Demo Image Failure

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Thanks for the help. I used the SAM-BA 2.16 GUI tool. It turns out that I was flashing the at91bootstrap-sama5d3_xplained.bin to 0x00 in NAND memory as opposed to using the "Send Boot File" present in the GUI. This fixed the problem. I've also gotten a .tcl script to successfully flash the board as well.

I believe this is correct based on the information you've provided:
You should not have an image of AT91Bootstrap at NAND location 0.
The requirement is a NAND parameter header at location 0.
I appreciate the help, and apologize for the lack of clarity. I should have mentioned I was trying to use the SAM-BA 2.16 GUI. However, I politely ask that you take a less condescending tone with your response.

Return to “SAMA5 Xplained”