Hanging on RomBOOT after reboot

Discussion around products based on ARM Cortex-A5 core.

Moderator: nferre

Yuval

Hanging on RomBOOT after reboot

Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi,

I have a board, SAMA5D2 based, with all Linux distribution on SPI Flash (At91Bootstrap + UBoot + Kernel and RootFS).
Once in many reboots (very rarely, maybe once in 20 reboots), when I reboot the system using 'reboot' shell command, the system doing a reboot, and hangs in RomBOOT (I see the RomBOOT message and then it hangs there forever).
Only doing a Power Cycle to the board get it out from this state. then it boots fine.
Also the problem never reproduces after a Power Cycle.

Is it possible that is something wrong in the reboot procedure? how it can effect the ROM flow?

I will be happy to hear advises how to debug this problem.

Thanks.
blue_z

Re: Hanging on RomBOOT after reboot

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:09 am

Yuval wrote:I have a board, SAMA5D2 based ... on SPI Flash
That's too ambiguous.
Yuval wrote:...the system doing a reboot, and hangs in RomBOOT
Your characterizations of "Hanging on RomBOOT" and "hangs in RomBOOT" are highly unlikely (in spite of various errata over the years).
The correct preposition is probably "after", i.e. "hang after RomBOOT".
Far more plausible is one of two possibilities (that are in the realm of normal RomBOOT behavior) :

A. Whatever code that was loaded from "SPI flash" into DRAM is off in the weeds, before it can output any text to the console.
This scenario could be confirmed with JTAG.

B. The RomBOOT did not recognize the "SPI flash" (or any storage device with boot code), and dropped into the SAM-BA Monitor, which is silently waiting to receive a command.
This scenario can be confirmed by interacting with the SAM-BA Monitor on the console.
Yuval wrote:Is it possible that is something wrong in the reboot procedure?
Anything is possible, but somethings are more likely than others.
The "reboot procedure"? Not likely for this case.
Yuval wrote:how it can effect the ROM flow?
The ROM code is checking on external chips, so what is going on with this mystery board and flash?

BTW "once in 20 reboots" is not even close to "very rarely".

Regards

Return to “SAMA5D Cortex-A5 MPU”