EBI static memory and SAM-BA applets

Discussion around products based on ARM Cortex-A5 core.

Moderator: nferre

MrHat

EBI static memory and SAM-BA applets

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:10 am

Hi Forum,

I have been trying to find out if SAM-BA will work on a custom board with only EBI static memory (no DDRam). I cannot find any documentation that sheds light on this issue. I do know that applets are loaded into external memory (to do tasks such as program flash), and typically the evaluation boards have DDR2 memory (and a NAND flash connected to the EBI). If there is no external memory, the SAM-BA cannot load applets.

Any experiences or knowledge on this topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
blue_z

Re: EBI static memory and SAM-BA applets

Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:11 pm

MrHat wrote:I have been trying to find out if SAM-BA will work on a custom board with only EBI static memory (no DDRam). I cannot find any documentation that sheds light on this issue.
Since one of the applet directories is named "extram" (i.e. external RAM) rather than "dram", it would seem feasible.
Of course you'll have to write the code to support it.
MrHat wrote:I do know that applets are loaded into external memory (to do tasks such as program flash)
Actually that depends on the applet and its buffer & memory requirements.
The initial applet(s) that perform the low-level initialization obviously have to execute from internal SRAM.
Since the legacy Atmel SoCs had small internal SRAM (e.g. 8KB), probably only the initialization applets are designed to execute from internal SRAM and the rest use external RAM.
With much larger internal SRAM on some of the latest SoCs (e.g. 128KB), there are only a few applets (e.g. NAND flash, MMC) that are still too large for internal SRAM and have to execute from external RAM.

Regards

Return to “SAMA5D Cortex-A5 MPU”