Why Atmel Studio 6.2 so slow??

Discussion around product based on ARM Cortex M4 core.

Moderators: nferre, ncollot

momoxinduo

Why Atmel Studio 6.2 so slow??

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:38 am

Hi, I have obtained a SAM4E board with SAM-ICE JTAG recently, and I just tried the board with Atmel Studio with ASF. The result is really... don't know what to say. I first tried to explore an Example Project in Atmel Studio. After popping up a window saying like 'The project is being created. Please wait...', then, the Atmel Studio just let me wait there for more than 20 minutes with that pop-up window, load nothing at all! I clicked the studio window after about 20 minutes, then, Windows OS told me Atmel Studio has no response, and shut it down...

I repeated the load process for several times, and the results are almost the same: told you to wait, and, nothing until no response...
momoxinduo

Re: Why Atmel Studio 6.2 so slow??

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:44 am

Actually, I have another SAMD20 board. That board is lucky, with Atmel Studio 6.2, it only take about 15minutesto load the project, and another 15minutesto compile it. yes, minutes, not seconds... My computer is not bad: Intel I5 4670K (4 core, 3.4GHz), 8G DDR4 RAM. I am not sure what is the problem.
jarnoldbrown

Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:34 pm

"My Atmel Studio 6.2 SP1 takes 4 minutes to start & load my SAM R21 Xpro project after starting Windows "from cold".

Shutting down Studio and repeating then takes ~3 minutes."

Which is still ridiculously slow, in my opinion.
In my youth I could write an entire C compiler in 3 minutes.
momoxinduo

Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:25 pm

Yes, I understand there should be some problems, but what could be that? I did everything according to the 'Get started' manual of Atmel...
awneil wrote:My Atmel Studio 6.2 SP1 takes 4 minutes to start & load my SAM R21 Xpro project after starting Windows "from cold".

Shutting down Studio and repeating then takes ~3 minutes.

PC: Dual-core Pentium 1.8GHz; 2G RAM; Win-XP.

So you must have other problems besides the slowness of AS itself...
Andy Peters

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:53 pm

It's PAINFULLY slow on my iMac in a WinXP virtual machine.

And when you open a project, it goes through all of the files, building the database it can handle the "goto implementation" and "goto definition" menu items. 

Eclipse would have been a better choice.
jarnoldbrown

Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:57 am

awneil wrote:I must say that Eclipse can also be pretty slow to start...
No kidding!
jharley

Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:10 pm

FYI: my start then load project time for AS is <30 secs.

opening the wizard for a project ~15secs.

Note: I am using a Solid State Drive for my primary OS. If you are looking for a good overall speed improvement you might try upgrading your hard drive to an SSD, I am using a "Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500Gig" and no complaints, vast improvements on all my drive intensive tools :)
cjdupuis

Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm currently running an i7-4600U w/ 8GB RAM, SSD running Win 8.1 and I too have experienced extremely slow performance with Atmel Studio.

After a lot of trial and error I narrowed down the source of my frustration to the USB driver stack in Win 8 (this is probably the same case OP is having if running Win 8 ). The solution was to manually install an Intel Windows 7 USB driver stack (unsigned drivers) which immediately reflected a major performance increase.

Not only did this fix drastically increase performance with Atmel Studio but in Windows overall. USB transfer speeds greatly increase, no more random system hanging, better performance is various applications, etc. Although this is not an official recommendation by any manufacturers, I highly recommend this upgrade (or downgrade?) but be aware that it may affect the performance of other drivers on your system.
tcox13

Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:52 am

I have parallel projects in Windows .NET and Atmel Studio for a SAM4E8E target. Both use Visual Studio as IDE and compile identical source files. A file that takes 90 seconds to compile in Atmel Studio 6.2.1153 takes 5 seconds in Visual Studio 2010. Identical source file, same file system, same computer (8Gb 2.8GHz dual core).  

This complaint has shown up in numerous forums. I have not found a single response from any spokesperson for Atmel. It appears they don't care because we have no choice if building for their hardware. 

Or do we? Has anyone found a viable alternative to Atmel Studio?

Or is there some secret to configuring Atmel Studio to make build times tolerable?
DiBosco2

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:12 pm

The reason it's slow is because it's built with .NET.

Spend yourself a little money and get Crossworks:

http://www.rowley.co.uk/arm/index.htm

It's written with Qt which is a fast and nimble framework and you can run it on Linux or OS X which will speed everything up even more. (It does run on Windows if you really have to run that.)

You will save yourself the money you spent in the MASSIVE increase in speed and efficiency. It uses gcc so it's simple to import Studio projects.

If you're doing this for fun it's only $150. If you're doing it to make a living it's only $1500 which is a snip compared to IAR, Keil etc and you get way better support.

I am in no way associated with Rowley, I'm just someone who's used their stuff for almost ten years and have found them to be superb. Studio used to be OK, but it's dire these days.
tallman

Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:44 pm

I've been using my Atmel studio for about a year.  Most of my changes take about 30 seconds for build and push to chip.  I was frustrated with that until I read this post.   Now I'll be happy with it. I have a 4 year old Windows 7, I7 core with an SSD.

Brent

Return to “SAM4 Cortex-M4 MCU”