SAM4L SAM-BA Boot Assistant via UART port is very slow

Discussion around product based on ARM Cortex M4 core.

Moderators: nferre, ncollot

Max-2014

SAM4L SAM-BA Boot Assistant via UART port is very slow

Fri May 02, 2014 4:14 am

Hello every body.
I use ATSAM4LC2AA-MU in my design and I developed a small application for my end users to be able to upgrade their firmware by themselves. I use sam-ba.dll (version 2.12 in C# windows application) and run applets to achieve my goals (Exp. AT91Boot_Go(..)). Every thing is smooth and very FAST when using USB port but when I disconnect USB cable and power up my board using an external power supply and use SAM4L UART (Pin 12 (PA05) for RXD, Pin 16 (PA07) for TXD and pin 8 (VDDIN) is 3.3v) to communicate to my pc (Windows OS) for programming, it is extremely SLOW. I would appreciate in advanced if some one put me in right direction to fix the problem.

(According to Atmel AT03454: SAM-BA for SAM4L document, I did exactly as it said)
Max-2014

Re: SAM4L SAM-BA Boot Assistant via UART port is very slow

Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:47 am

Hello every one. After I discussed this problem with Atmel, they confirmed that the problem is in 'sam-ba.dll' which in UART mode 'sam-ba' wait for 3 seconds after every launch of an applet. As a result they are going to fix it in their next release. At the moment, the latest version of 'sam-ba' is: 'sam-ba_2.12_patch7' which I tested it and the problem is still there. So I expect this issue to be fixed in patch 8 with new version of 'sam-ba.dll'. Cheers.
myoung17

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:38 pm

Any more from Atmel on this new patch? I'm experiencing the same sluggish speeds when i try to program a custom SAM4S board. I'm using SAM-BA 2.12patch7.

Whats strange is that i have two WIN7 (64-bit) machines, but one is about 4x as fast per programming cycle (one completes in ~1 minute vs the other at ~15 sec). Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe its a windows bottleneck, and not SAM-BA?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Max-2014

Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:06 am

Hi every one.
Atmel has released the new version of SAM-BA version 2.13 but unfortunately this problem hasn't been fixed. I was in contact with their customer service and as a result the guy who I was discussing the issue with, told me that they are going to fix it in their next release but they didn't.
Again, after this new release version 2.13 I contacted them and asked whether I am going to have a SAM-BA DLL with this problem fixed. The new guy told me that the person who I was in contact with has left and they don't have the fixed DLL and simply he closed the question ticket (after I explained the story for the new guy again). Of course I am following up the matter with them but this sort of customer service within Atmel (I think) is far from them and I hope this is just a misunderstanding and I hope Atmel act responsibly and address this issue as soon as possible and take the customer service seriously. If there is a problem with microcontroller itself I hope they admit it so we can move on with other options. As a designer I designed some products for different companies which I used Atmel components and those products are still in production and I could not tolerant this sort of ignorance by their customer service to address a problem within their product or service. (I should mention that I had another very serious issue with one of their microcontrollers that they really came through with me to fix it) I will update here for any further development regarding to this issue.
Cheers.
Max-2014

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:35 am

Hi everyone
I have just received the interesting response from Atmel after a long time that I discussed the issue with them:
"Sorry that What I get is there is no plan to do this for now." :shock:
So I have nothing else to say and in the meantime I am going to ... (use your imagination)
Cheers

Return to “SAM4 Cortex-M4 MCU”