SAM-BA: Has it been discontinued?

Microchip in-system programming solution: SAM-BA

Moderators: nferre, fab

berntd

SAM-BA: Has it been discontinued?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:46 am

There is a rev 3.20 for Windows downloadable on the Microchip website but it appears command line only ??

So does rev 3.14.

Last one I see that seems complete is rev 2.16

Has Atmel become dysfunct since the Microchip takeover?
What is happening ?
Who has the answers?

Regards
blue_z

Re: SAM-BA: Has it been discontinued?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:03 am

berntd wrote:There is a rev 3.20 for Windows downloadable on the Microchip website but it appears command line only ??
Version 3.x of SAM-BA has always been without a GUI.
The command-line-only capability is not recent.
berntd wrote:Last one I see that seems complete is rev 2.16
You have a warped definition for "complete".
Having a GUI does not make a program "complete".
If you have a ATSAMA5D2-XULT board, then SAM-BA v2.16 (or v2.17) is useless despite having a GUI.

BTW you overlooked a v2.17 that was released three months ago.
berntd wrote:Has Atmel become dysfunct [sic] since the Microchip takeover?
What is happening ?
The GUI-less SAM-BA v 3.0 dates back to late 2015.
So this variant of the tool predates the acquisition by Microchip.
But apparently you have "discovered" this version 3.x only recently, and reacted like a Chicken Little.

Regards
berntd

Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:52 am

Thanks.

Everyone here assumed that rev 3 would be a continuation of rev 2 since both are called SAM-BA. It would have been logical for a non insider to deduct that there was a problem with the GUI bno longer being there.

But, we have noticed other signs that there is possibly less going on at Atmel, since the takeover by Microchip.

I have never seen a smooth takeover in my long career so I would expect this one to be no different.

Best regards
Bernt
blue_z

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:44 pm

berntd wrote:Everyone here assumed that rev 3 would be a continuation of rev 2 since both are called SAM-BA.
Perhaps part of the problem is that you persist/insist in referring to "revisions", whereas they are identified as "versions".
berntd wrote:But, we have noticed other signs that there is possibly less going on at Atmel, since the takeover by Microchip.
Sometimes "less" is good.
There was a plan (and some steps were taken) in 2015 to transfer the content of this site to a site under control of Atmel HQ in San Jose. But the acquisition seems to have suspended that plan to shutdown this site.
berntd wrote:I have never seen a smooth takeover in my long career so I would expect this one to be no different.
I've been through four acquisitions, and didn't have negative experiences like you.

Regards

Return to “SAM-BA”