Struggling a bit with Sam-BA 2.16 on SAM4S

ATMEL in-system programing solution including SAM-BA and SAM-PROG.

Moderators: nferre, fab

davelund

Struggling a bit with Sam-BA 2.16 on SAM4S

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:32 pm

I haven't used SAM-BA in long time. Last time around was with a SAM7S about 10 yrs ago! Recently started work on a SAM4S board and the project is proceeding nicely but wanted to use SAM-BA for some initial production run programming.

Going through every possible setting I just keep getting "low level initialization" failed messages with either my SAM4S board or with a SAM4S Xplained. I know the board is connected and USB enumerated in both cases. In fact if I just connect to it with a terminal program I can manually enter "V# and get both boards to reply with the boot rom message:

v1.6 May 2 2011 18:56:15

I did drag out my old SAM7S-EK board and amazingly that works perfectly. No issues.

Is there something missing in my SAM-BA setup? The install seems to work given success with the SAM7S. All I would think I would need to configure for the SAM4S is the part variant and the crystal frequency. Again, the USB transport seems to be fine.

I've installing SAM-BA 2.16 on a total of 3 machines with the results.

Any comments appreciated.

Dave
aarcov

Re: Struggling a bit with Sam-BA 2.16 on SAM4S

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:39 pm

I'm having the same issue except I'm using a sam4l8 chip. The closest I've gotten so far is to use the EDBG chip to program it with openocd (there is an excellent guide here: http://jjmilburn.github.io/2014/09/18/A ... clipseCDT/), this does require that you have the debugger chip (which is on the xplained board I'm using); however, we will need a way to program other devices that don't have the EDBG chip...
aarcov

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:52 pm

Ok, I've made some progress with my setup that might be useful for you. Look at the application note for your board and find the SAM-BA pins that are used and connect to them with a usb to TTL serial cable (such as this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/954). I haven't gotten the programming working yet, but it does respond to V# now.
davelund

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:08 am

Haven't gotten back to this just yet. Other issues have taken priority.

I can get the V# version response either talking to the SAM-BA code over USB or UART. I know my connection is good. Just not sure why the init if failing. I suspect it is looking for resources on the SAM4S xplained dev baord and my custom board only has the SAM4S with no other SPI FLASH or EEPROM or anything else.

Although I can't even get the xplained board to work either. Will get back to this. Hoping somebody can confirm they have SAM-BA 2.16 working with a SAM4S with no external memory.

Also odd the same setup works perfectly with a very old SAM7S board.

Dave

Return to “AT91-ISP”