SAM-BA for SAMD21 custom Board

Microchip in-system programming solution: SAM-BA

Moderators: nferre, fab

aamirusaf

SAM-BA for SAMD21 custom Board

Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:00 am

I have designed a board using SAM-D21 that can be programmed with Atmel ICE programmer. It works well with it but now I want to add SAM-BA as bootloader in it. Well I have loaded the SAM-BA monitor in it but when I look in the drop down menu of 'Select your board' in SAM-BA GUI, it only shows a list of development boards although including SAMD21 Xplained Pro. 

My question is that is it possible to connect a SAMD21 custom board using FTDI cable between PC and controller? On controller side SERCOM3 is being used as suggested in app note about samba and samd21.
herg

Re: SAM-BA for SAMD21 custom Board

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:01 pm

I am working my way down the same path, though technically I am using a SAMR21.  Internally, it looks like a SAMD21, so I think the bootloader will be the same (or very similar).  Anyway, I found this:
http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-42366 ... T07175.pdf

I cannot, however, find the AT07175.zip file that is mentioned.

The FTDI USB to serial cable you mention should not be a problem as long as it is connected to the proper SERCOM pins.  In my case, I want to use USB CDC.

Edit:
OK, I should have been able to find this sooner, but the zip file is on the SAMD21 documents page:
http://www.atmel.com/devices/ATSAMD21J1 ... =documents

Now it's time to see what I can do with it.
zarie

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi,
Take a look at "SAM D21 XPRO USB Host MSC Bootloader" AN-8185 document.
It has a nice explanation and implementation of a boot loader you can tailir to suite your needs to upgrade firmware via a USB FAT flash disk.
Arie
ncctelecom

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:01 am

Hello ,
I am quite new in this,i think you people have tried a lot in sam ba.

i want to use bootloader function in my sam d20 and sam d21 board ,not xplained pro board ,

i have got bootloader hex file for sam d20 and sam d21 both which i need to program from external programmer.

i want some detail for sam ba v 3.13 for programming with serial or usb port.

i have tried using samba 2.16 user GUI is good but it does not have user board option of sam d 20 and 21 , only xplained board are there .

what i want is small board of sam d20/21 and serial pins and pa15 pin to switch it between bootloader and application mode ,
i dont know whether it possible or not , i should be able to program my board with any USB to serial connector and sam ba

you people are trying this from past somay yrs please send me some examples

please help me .

Return to “SAM-BA”