Linux sam-ba 2.9 and JTAG

Microchip in-system programming solution: SAM-BA

Moderators: nferre, fab

mandel

Linux sam-ba 2.9 and JTAG

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:04 am

Is is possible to use sam-ba for Linux (v2.9) with a USB JTAG device (such as the Segger SAM-ICE) or can it be only used via a direct USB connection with board that support such flashing?
Koarl

Re: Linux sam-ba 2.9 and JTAG

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:38 pm

I'd like to know that too. An answer would be highly appreciated!
velik

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:57 pm

Yes, yes! I'm very interesting too (in my case ULINK2 JTAG adapter from Keil), because my G45 board doesn't support USB/Serial communication with SAM-BA :roll:
graham1956!

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi,

The quick answer is yes to both questions.
I have SAM9M10 EKES and when connecting SAM-BA via USB I have to open the NANDCS JP10 to connect the board.

Now when I use SAM-ICE I can leave the jumper JP10 closed and connect via JTAG.

Now a question for you guys. I'm using Eclipse (Yagarto) with SAM-ICE and I don't seem to see a diffinitive set of instruction on how to load a compiled program into flash memory. I was expecting something highly integrated like AVR Studio but I suspect not.

So the question is; Is there a document out there which provides a tiutorial on this.

Thanks
Graham
Koarl

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:39 pm

This is a quick guide on how to deploy the .NET Micro-Framework to the target using Eclipse and GDB. This might not be directly applicable to your case but you might get a general idea from it.

http://discovertheexperience.blogspot.c ... et_09.html

In the comments of that post is a trackback from another developer blog who did things a little bit differently. That might help too.

I used this tutorial to get an idea as well. If you are using the SAM-ICE then you might want to do the following:
Instead of getting OpenOCD in your External Tools menu, just add the JLink GDB-Server that came with your SAM-ICE (or this package for the Segger JLink ARM which is basically the same thing >> http://www.segger.com/cms/jlink-software.html)

Instead of connecting your GDB Debugger to localhost:3333 (as you would for openOCD) you connect to localhost:2331 and then need to provide the debugger commands such as the basic initialization routines, load, break, etc.

I don't know what your build output looks like. Instead of pointing to a *.axf file as described in the blog about the .NET MF, you might want to point eclipse to the location of your *.elf file or equivalent. Not too sure about that, though.

Just in case (however unlikely) your target is an AT91SAM9162, you can find a GDB intialization script for that here: http://yangchern.blogspot.com/2010/02/a ... cript.html

Return to “SAM-BA”