how to program arm without ASF

Discussions about all user software around SAM Series.

Moderator: nferre

Joesan

how to program arm without ASF

Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Hello, 
I made the change to arm microcontrollers and I would like to do the programming in pure C without ASF. I'm getting crazy to find information about that. All times I found tutorial is with ASF. Everybody is using that libraries to program atmel arm? Is there another way?
Thanks in advance.
regards.
jharley

Re: how to program arm without ASF

Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Joesan wrote:I would like to do the programming in pure C without ASF
:?: ASF is written in 'C'!

If you want to start writing your code without the library... you could start with the device header files, these define the ARM registers and their addresses. Then you will have to use the data sheet to determine how to operate the peripherals.

There definitely is a learning curve if you haven't programmed ARM processors before. If your goal is to get up and running quickly, using a library (like ASF) is the way to go ;)

At the very least if you want to learn the processor, studying the library with the datasheet will help you see how to operate the numerous periperial's

Welcome to ARM!
Joesan

Re: how to program arm without ASF

Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:14 am

awneil wrote: As already noted, ASF is 'C' :!:
of course I know it is, sorry I think I was not explicit enough but I think at the end you did understand me :wink:

Thank you very much for your usefull answers, I will have a look your suggestions.

Return to “Software”