AT91SAM7S Boot Assistant (SAM-BA)

Discussion about SAM7 Series and ARM7TDMI based products.

Moderator: nferre

pfilippi

Thu May 12, 2005 11:08 pm

Hi All,

we are late in providing the new version of the datasheet which must integrate some SAM-BA info, but I'm gona check what we can release now

let you know :wink:
henkvisser

Thanks Patrick!

Fri May 13, 2005 1:27 am

Thanks Patrick!
jimbotko

Fri May 13, 2005 7:30 am

pfilippi wrote:Hi All,

we are late in providing the new version of the datasheet which must integrate some SAM-BA info, but I'm gona check what we can release now

let you know :wink:
Hi pfilippi,

Where could I find info on how the chip needs to be wired to work properly with SAM-BA over USB and DBGU? I'm currently developing a PCB and would like to get a revision out the door ASAP. Thanks for any info.
jimbotko

Sat May 14, 2005 6:54 am

jimbotko wrote:
Where could I find info on how the chip needs to be wired to work properly with SAM-BA over USB and DBGU? I'm currently developing a PCB and would like to get a revision out the door ASAP. Thanks for any info.
Anybody have any info on this in terms of what other lines need to be pulled high or low and the chip reset to get it in to the bootload mode with SAM-BA?
jimbotko

Sun May 15, 2005 5:00 am

Anybody?? Does the TST line need to be asserted when the chip is reset to put it in bootloader mode with SAM-BA??
henkvisser

Patrick Please Respond.

Mon May 16, 2005 7:11 pm

^^^^ I have the same question! Patrick can you please get back to us!

Thanks.

-Henk
jimbotko

Re: Patrick Please Respond.

Mon May 16, 2005 7:51 pm

henkvisser wrote:^^^^ I have the same question! Patrick can you please get back to us!

Thanks.

-Henk
I'm really surprised that nobody here from Atmel knows how to actually use SAM-BA.
pjs

Re: Patrick Please Respond.

Mon May 16, 2005 8:24 pm

I'm really surprised that nobody here from Atmel knows how to actually use SAM-BA.
Oh, they know.... They's jist not tellin'

Really, come on Pfilippi, at least tell us what does and doesn't cause the chip to enter bootloader mode.

A good number of us are currently or soon will be laying out our own boards. It sure wouldn't be very nice if the chips unexpectedly went into bootloader mode, instead of running the code we've written.
jimbotko

Mon May 16, 2005 8:46 pm

Unfortunately for us if we don't find out in the next day or so we're going to have to switch to another part.
henkvisser

Yahoo group

Mon May 16, 2005 10:15 pm

How responsive is the yahoo at91 support group?

-Henk
pfilippi

Mon May 16, 2005 10:21 pm

Hi All,

For sure tomorrow , SAM-BA stuffs will be released. We are finalizing the intermediate SAM-BA release.

I know that you are all waiting for it to be released, and me the first !!! :wink:

Even if it is an intermediate release, we do not want to just spread information in a topic about SAM-BA, which will be drowned in the forum. So the annoucement of the released, will be as I said in the beginning of this topic, throught the AT91 News Letter and also announced in this forum.
So if you have not yet subscribed to the AT91 News Letter, you have half a day to do it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Patrick.
henkvisser

Hurray for Patrick!

Mon May 16, 2005 10:30 pm

Thanks Pat!
pfilippi

Tue May 17, 2005 6:48 pm

Dear All,

As promised, SAM-BA v1.2 Beta has been released today !

More info here .....
www/newsletters/index.php4?caseid=archive

Enjoy !

AT91 Support Team
jimbotko

Tue May 17, 2005 8:19 pm

Thanks pfilippi!

I've read through the SAM-BA docs and I'm still slightly confused.

When SAM-BA is loaded in via system recovery, I assume that when I reset the chip it sits in a loop in the SAM-BA code in the flash waiting for external communication over the DBGU or USB.

However, what happens when I would like to load in a compiled program? I assume I use the SAM-BA app on the PC and load it in, but then what happens upon reset? Does the SAM-BA code in the flash get overwritten such that my code now gets executed immediately upon reset, and I need to go through another 10 second recovery procedure to restore SAM-BA when I need to reflash an updated program?

Or does SAM-BA remain in a bootloader section of the flash, and upon reset if some external line (like TST, PGMEN0, etc) is set then it jumps to and stays in bootload mode waiting for communication from the SAM-BA PC app? None of this is clear from the documentation.

Thanks!
pfilippi

Tue May 17, 2005 9:16 pm

Hi,
When SAM-BA is loaded in via system recovery, I assume that when I reset the chip it sits in a loop in the SAM-BA code in the flash waiting for external communication over the DBGU or USB
Yes Right. If you reset the chip with TST pin left unconnected (intenal pull down), SAM-BA is started.
However, what happens when I would like to load in a compiled program? I assume I use the SAM-BA app on the PC and load it in, but then what happens upon reset? Does the SAM-BA code in the flash get overwritten such that my code now gets executed immediately upon reset, and I need to go through another 10 second recovery procedure to restore SAM-BA when I need to reflash an updated program?
Yes right, once you have loaded your application via SAM-BA, SAM-BA is overwritten, so upon next reset AND TST pin left unconnected (intenal pull down) your application is started. If you want to reflash a new application you must go again through the SAM-BA recovery procedure.

To sumarrize, when TST pin is left unconnected (intenal pull down), your application is started or SAM-BA if the recovery procedure has been performed just before.

We will add this in the SAM-BA html doc.

Return to “SAM7 ARM7TDMI MCU”