Application hosting a Linux shell

This forum is for users of Microchip MPUs and who are interested in using Linux OS.

Moderator: nferre

Misha

Application hosting a Linux shell

Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:46 pm

My application should enable a serial Linux shell at run time, according to the level of an hardware flag sampled at application startup: no user login is required.
At the same time the application itself should be able to send (only) messages through the same serial port, for debug purposes.
The serial port will be the DBGU port of an AT91RM9200-EK like target
running ARM Linux 2.4.27.

Some hints ?

By the way, I am interested on "proven" - "quick and dirty" reference sources for threads management , TCP/IP-UDP, transmission protocols:
if someboby finds a site truly useful, please let me know.

Thank you for your attention.
conger

Re: Application hosting a Linux shell

Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:24 am

Misha wrote:By the way, I am interested on "proven" - "quick and dirty" reference sources for threads management , TCP/IP-UDP, transmission protocols:
if someboby finds a site truly useful, please let me know.

Misha, I apologize if I missed the point of your last request there... are you seeking actual reference source code, or simply websites which detail the topics you listed and also provide reference source code? If you like, I am currently implementing a sockets-based client-server style application in which my ARM board is server, users communicate with the board using client applications running on remote Linux machines connected over an Ethernet network. It fits your "proven - quick and dirty" in that the functionality is basic, yet it works perfectly for me, and is well commented. However, it is not yet threaded... i.e. it never spawns any new threads. If you need an example of all of the above at once (threaded, TCP/ or UDP/IP, transmission protocols) then perhaps my code will not be of any help. Otherwise, I am happy to share it with you as it would be very easy to either copy or adapt for your own purposes, and in my opinion is a great reference for basic TCP/IP communication in user applications. Also, threaded functionality is indeed the next step in the development of this application, so I will keep you in mind and let you know when a threaded version of this code is available. If you would like my code, I would be happy to share it with you. You may reach me at congerorama@gmail.com

conger

Return to “LINUX”