Ethernet instability with newest mainline kernels

This forum is for users of Microchip MPUs and who are interested in using Linux OS.

Moderator: nferre

pbugalski

Ethernet instability with newest mainline kernels

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi,

I'm working with a product based on SAMA5D27 and we plan to use mainline kernel because we need NAND-QSPI memory support.
Unfortunately it looks like Ethernet driver is broken in last few releases. To reproduce issue:
1. Follow instructions from https://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view ... ctoProject to build clean system image
2. Test:
2.1 start system, ping host machine
2.2 ifdown eth0
2.3 ifup eth0
2.4 ping again - everything works correctly
3. Use mainline kernel from https://www.kernel.org/ - can be last "stable" 4.20 version or newer
3.1 make test like previously (2.1-2.4)
3.2 depending of network configuration, you can observe kernel panic or at least ping at 2.4 will take seconds (instead of miliseconds in 2.1)
This issue can be reproduced on XULT and probably any other SAMA5D2 based board.
It seems to be Atmel specific, because on Beaglebone Black it works correctly even with kernel 5.0-rc7.

Do you have any idea how can we use newest kernel on SAMA5D2?

Best Regards,
Piotr Bugalski
blue_z

Re: Ethernet instability with newest mainline kernels

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:43 pm

pbugalski wrote: I'm working with a product based on SAMA5D27 and we plan to use mainline kernel because we need NAND-QSPI memory support.
Please explain what "NAND-QSPI memory support" you need in mainline that is not in Linux4SAM.
Have you considered backporting (to Linux4SAM) whatever feature(s) you need?

Have you determined which mainline kernel version introduced this issue?
Have you reported this to any mailing list?
Has you seen any other reports of this issue?

Regards
pbugalski

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:08 pm

Hi blue_z,

Thank you for the answer. We need support for Nand-flash memory connected using QSPI interface. This support will be included in 5.0 kernel and backporting seems to be a bit too complicated.
Network issue was included in 4.19 if I remember well - it's not that easy to detect, if you don't disable and re-enable network everything works fine. I didn't report it on kernel mailing list, because I think it's Atmel/Microchip related, so my first try was to ask for help here.

Best Regards,
Piotr
nferre
Site Admin

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi,

For reference and as posted by abelloni in the thread "Gigabit Ethernet wont connect with linux 4.20", your issue might be solved by:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/2019041610 ... otlin.com/

Best regards,
Nicolas

Return to “LINUX”