Unable to show Boot logo (SAMA5D27-SOM1-EK)

This forum is for users of Microchip MPUs and who are interested in using Linux OS.

Moderator: nferre

Niino

Unable to show Boot logo (SAMA5D27-SOM1-EK)

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Hello,

I've been trying to set up a boot logo for a while now and it seems like I can't get it to work.

I followed this link: linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/BootLogo
But it's a bit lacking information in my opinion or I totally missing it. I still tried to add the BMP command, and added a splash.png at the root of the booting partition (saw this on another website, when doing researches).
I don't really understand at what address the bmp should be using the ("bmp display <imageAddr>" command). Is it defined with the changes required in the dts file ? If so I would need some help to know what to modify in there, and where.

Then I tried to get splash screen in the kernel using psplash. It first said there was no fb0 device, but that was because hlcdc was initializing fb0 after the script launched, so I changed the splash script run level to after this initialization, which is a bit annoying because it would show the splash screen way later.

But at this point the screen was still blank. Then I would launch my Qt app, quit it and tada the screen shows the splash screen. It doesnt show anything as long as I dont launch the Qt app. (Same goes with doing "cat /dev/urandom > /dev/fb0", this works only if the qt app has been launched before). So it seems like the fb0 is at first never updated ?

I also tried to activate the framebuffer console in the linux kernel, and then the console would start on the screen with "Please wait: bootin..." for a second and at that point the splash screen would show.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm stuck, feel free to ask for any more information if I missed any.

Regards,

Niino
blue_z

Re: Unable to show Boot logo (SAMA5D27-SOM1-EK)

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:08 am

Niino wrote:But it's a bit lacking information in my opinion or I totally missing it.
There are misspellings and poor grammar, but that web page seems clear enough to me (although I haven't tried to actually follow the steps).

Niino wrote:I still tried to add the BMP command, and added a splash.png at the root of the booting partition
Why are you using a .png image when this U-Boot command is named for and expects a .bmp image?

Niino wrote:I don't really understand at what address the bmp should be using the ("bmp display <imageAddr>" command).
The example on that webpage seems clear to me.
There's also the source code for that command that can always be consulted. (You're using open source code. If you want to know what that code does, all you have to do is read the source code.)

Both the example and U-Boot source code indicate that the bmp command takes an argument that specifies the memory address of the image to be displayed.
The example shows a preceding fatload command to retrieve the image from SDcard, and place the image at the same (arbitrary) memory address used in the bmp command.

Niino wrote:Is it defined with the changes required in the dts file ?
Huh?

Or as a last resort you can RTM.

Regards
Niino

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello blue_z, thanks for your answer.
blue_z wrote: Why are you using a .png image when this U-Boot command is named for and expects a .bmp image?
That was a misspelling, it is a .bmp.
blue_z wrote: Both the example and U-Boot source code indicate that the bmp command takes an argument that specifies the memory address of the image to be displayed.
The example shows a preceding fatload command to retrieve the image from SDcard, and place the image at the same (arbitrary) memory address used in the bmp command.
I got it to load the bmp to a random address, but the display command is not showing anything on the screen.

I guess it's because of the "Changes required in Linux Device tree." part in the tutorial I sent in my last post.

So I tried to apply the changes but it seems that I can't compile the device tree when I add the hlcdc part:

Code: Select all

hlcdc: hlcdc@f0000000 {
                             compatible = "atmel,sama5d4-hlcdc";
                             reg = <0xf0000000 0x4000>;
                             interrupts = <51 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH 0>;
                             clocks = <&lcdc_clk>, <&lcdck>, <&clk32k>;
                             clock-names = "periph_clk","sys_clk", "slow_clk";
                             status = "disabled";
                             memory-region = <&display_reserved>;
                     }
I left the memory one unchanged:

memory {
                                 reg = <0x20000000 0x20000000>;
                      };
It is compiling when I add the reserved-memory node only.

So my question is, where do I have to put the hlcdc "code" ?

Regards,
Nino
blue_z

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:57 am

Niino wrote:I got it to load the bmp to a random address, but the display command is not showing anything on the screen.
What commands did you use? What did you load? What does 'bmp info' show?
What "screen"? What are the technical specifications?
What is the U-Boot configuration?

Do not post Device Tree nodes without any context. After all, that seems to be your complaint with the Linux4SAM page. BTW the indentation is supposed to be an indication as to where those nodes might be located.

Regards
Niino

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:53 am

Hello,
blue_z wrote: What commands did you use? What did you load? What does 'bmp info' show?
=> fatload mmc 0:1 0x22000000 splash.bmp
reading splash.bmp
391802 bytes read in 46 ms (8.1 MiB/s)
=> bmp i
Image size : 480 x 272
Bits per pixel: 24
Compression : 0
=> bmp display 0x22000000
=>

The thing I didn't understand in the linux4SAM page was to mention the file at the end of the fatload command, might be obvious for some but it wasn't for me at least
blue_z wrote:What "screen"? What are the technical specifications?
http://www.pdaatl.com/doc/tm4301b.pdf

It is said in the tutorial if this screen is used we need to change the display timings in the dts. But there isn't any display-timing node in the dts for the sama5d27-som1-ek. Should I just paste the given code "randomly" in there ? Obviously not.
blue_z wrote:What is the U-Boot configuration?
It is the default one for the kit using mmc (make sama5d27_som1_ek_mmc_defconfig), with the one chagne mentionned in the "tutorial" which is to enable ATMEL hlcdc driver (in Device Drivers => Graphic support).
blue_z wrote:Do not post Device Tree nodes without any context. After all, that seems to be your complaint with the Linux4SAM page. BTW the indentation is supposed to be an indication as to where those nodes might be located.
What do you mean without context ? I'm just trying to understand what is explained in the Linux4SAM page. So that's pretty much the only context I could give.
And sure the indentation should be an indication but it probably isn't here, since all the code fields start with the same indentation in the whole page, that would mean the given code has no indentation, if that makes sense...

So once again this page might work better for other kits but looks outdated for the one I'm using.

Regards,
blue_z

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 am

Niino wrote:The thing I didn't understand in the linux4SAM page was to mention the file at the end of the fatload command, might be obvious for some but it wasn't for me at least
Now that you point that out, yes, that is a poorly written example.
If you didn't understand the command, then did you try to look up the command syntax?

At the U-Boot prompt: (with minor editing for readability)

=> help fatload                                                                 
fatload - load binary file from a dos filesystem                                

Usage:                                                                          
fatload <interface> [<dev[:part]> [<addr> [<filename> [bytes [pos]]]]]          
    - Load binary file 'filename' from 'dev' on 'interface' to address 'addr' from dos filesystem.                                    
      'pos' gives the file position to start loading from.  If 'pos' is omitted, 0 is used. 'pos' requires 'bytes'.                   
      'bytes' gives the size to load.  If 'bytes' is 0 or omitted, the load stops on end of file.                                            
      If either 'pos' or 'bytes' are not aligned to ARCH_DMA_MINALIGN then a misaligned buffer warning will                   
      be printed and performance will suffer for the load.                      
=>
Note that most of the command arguments are optional.
If binary file 'filename' is omitted, then the value of environment variable bootfile is used.
If address 'addr' is omitted, then the value of environment variable loadaddr is used.

Niino wrote:But there isn't any display-timing node in the dts for the sama5d27-som1-ek.
Since you claim to be using the supported PDA 4" display, then why not use at91-sama5d27_som1_ek_pda4.dts (which already has a basic hlcdc node)?

Niino wrote:What do you mean without context ?
By context for a DT node I was referring to surrounding lines or nodes to indicate its file or hierarchal position.
The SoC datasheet clearly states that the HLCD controller is a peripheral device that connects to the Advanced High Performance Bus (AHB) and integrates an APB interface to configure its registers.
Hence the hlcdc node in the DT is located under the ahb and apb nodes:

/ {

ahb {
		apb {
				status = "okay";

hlcdc-display-controller {
				};
			};

i2c1: i2c@fc028000 {
Niino wrote:And sure the indentation should be an indication but it probably isn't here, since all the code fields start with the same indentation in the whole page, that would mean the given code has no indentation, if that makes sense...
The indentation is not all the "same indentation", but you're not paying attention to it.
The HTML indentation of nodes on the Linux4SAM page is only off by four columns compared to the at91-sama5d27_som1_ek_pda4.dts file.
Whereas you show no indentation at all for any of your DT nodes.

BTW the Device Tree is not "code". It is a tree structure of nodes consisting of properties. Refer to the Device Tree specification.

Niino wrote:So once again this page might work better for other kits but looks outdated for the one I'm using.
Another faulty assumption.
FWIW there is another LCD controller used in older SAM9 SoCs.
But the HLCDC that you are using is not a peripheral that is exclusive to the SAMA5D27.
The LCD controller that is integrated in the SAMA5D27 SoC/SoM that you're using is also used in several other Microchip/Atmel ARM Cortex-A5 SoCs. They all use the same Linux device driver, and have the same DT binding requirements.

Regards
Niino

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:00 pm

blue_z wrote: Since you claim to be using the supported PDA 4" display, then why not use at91-sama5d27_som1_ek_pda4.dts (which already has a basic hlcdc node)?
Good point, I was actually searching the files in the u-boot directory(path the tutorial was pointing to if I remember right), didn't think of looking in the kernel part
blue_z wrote:By context for a DT node I was referring to surrounding lines or nodes to indicate its file or hierarchal position.
The SoC datasheet clearly states that the HLCD controller is a peripheral device that connects to the Advanced High Performance Bus (AHB) and integrates an APB interface to configure its registers.
Hence the hlcdc node in the DT is located under the ahb and apb nodes: ...
Makes sense. Didn't it connects to AHB and integrates APB, that's why I was lost to where to put it.
blue_z wrote:The indentation is not all the "same indentation", but you're not paying attention to it.
The HTML indentation of nodes on the Linux4SAM page is only off by four columns compared to the at91-sama5d27_som1_ek_pda4.dts file.
I expressed myself poorly here, I meant that all the code blocks on that page start at pretty much the same indentation ie:

#define CONFIG_CMD_BMP

>fatload mmc 1:1 0x22000000 ; bmp display 0x22000000;

So it looks like it's almost an "accident" that it is so close to the actual indentation. Anyways.

I tried some stuff but it still isn't working. I can see the BootLogo page on Linux4SAM got updated, it is a little bit more precise, but at the bottom it says: Boards Sama5d4ek.
Is it only valid for this board now ?

Still, I modified the at91-sama5d27_som1_ek_pda4.dts file to add the given code to:

{
	ahb {
		apb {
				 compatible = "atmel,sama5d4-hlcdc";
                            	 reg = <0xf0000000 0x4000>;
                             	 interrupts = <51 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH 0>;
                            	 clocks = <&lcdc_clk>, <&lcdck>, <&clk32k>;
                           	 clock-names = "periph_clk","sys_clk", "slow_clk";
                             	 status = "okay";

memory-region = <&display_reserved>;

hlcdc-display-controller {
					port@0 {
						hlcdc_panel_output: endpoint@0 {
							reg = <0>;
							remote-endpoint = <&panel_input>;
						};
					};
				};
			};
		};
	};
	reserved-memory {
        	 #address-cells = <1>;
         	 #size-cells = <1>;
            	 ranges;

display_reserved: framebuffer@3FD00000 {
                            reg = <0x3FD00000 0x100000>;
                 };
        };
};

Note that I tried with both status="okay" and status="disabled". (okay was the base one and disabled is the one given on the Linux4SAM). But with disabled the screen doesnt even work after with a Qt app.

I also then get an error at the start of my Qt app: 
[code] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 506 at drivers/gpu/drm/drm_atomic_helper.c:1140 0xc0398a04
[CRTC:31] vblank wait timed out
Modules linked in:
CPU: 0 PID: 506 Comm: Test Tainted: G        W       4.9.109-linux4sam_5.8+-02107-g81db49c-dirty #13
Hardware name: Atmel SAMA5
Function entered at [<c010cce8>] from [<c010a684>]
Function entered at [<c010a684>] from [<c0116490>]
Function entered at [<c0116490>] from [<c01164e0>]
Function entered at [<c01164e0>] from [<c0398a04>]
Function entered at [<c0398a04>] from [<c03c1554>]
Function entered at [<c03c1554>] from [<c03c175c>]
Function entered at [<c03c175c>] from [<c039b358>]
Function entered at [<c039b358>] from [<c03abd18>]
Function entered at [<c03abd18>] from [<c03ad14c>]
Function entered at [<c03ad14c>] from [<c03a4fe0>]
Function entered at [<c03a4fe0>] from [<c01c9108>]
Function entered at [<c01c9108>] from [<c01c9928>]
Function entered at [<c01c9928>] from [<c0107360>]
This behavior disappears if i delete the "interrupts = <51 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH 0>;" line within the hlcdc node.

So I tried to follow this from the Linux4SAM page:
Note: In case of custom board with different memory size, framebuffer@3FD00000 memory location might change. This memory location can be obtained by enabling debug print messages in uboot or refer video_reserve function in uboot/driver/video/Video-uclass.c file.
And I obtained "Video frame buffers from 0x27fff0000 to 0x27fff0000".

Tried to apply the changes to DT:

reserved-memory {
        	 #address-cells = <1>;
         	 #size-cells = <1>;
            	 ranges;

display_reserved: framebuffer@3FD00000 {
                            reg = <0x3FD00000 0x100000>;
                 };
        };

to

reserved-memory {
        	 #address-cells = <1>;
         	 #size-cells = <1>;
            	 ranges;

display_reserved: framebuffer@27fff0000  {
                            reg = <0x27fff0000 0x100000>;
                 };
        };
In the early booting part there is an error:

atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: failed to create HLCDC outputs: -517
atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: failed to initialize mode setting
It shows up again just before and after the INIT: version 2.88 booting:
Before:
"atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: DRM device successfully registered"
after init booting:
"atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: fb0: frame buffer device"

But that is almost when booting is done.

The screen backlight turns on at the same time as the "atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: DRM device successfully registered". Before that it stays black.

Some infos might be useless here but I'd rather describe the most i can than not enough. Not sure what I can try else at this point..
Tell me if I omitted something. Thank you for your time.

Regards
blue_z

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:02 am

Niino wrote:
blue_z wrote:Since you claim to be using the supported PDA 4" display, then why not use at91-sama5d27_som1_ek_pda4.dts (which already has a basic hlcdc node)?
Good point, I was actually searching the files in the u-boot directory(path the tutorial was pointing to if I remember right), didn't think of looking in the kernel part
My bad, that was not good advice.
Turns out that you cannot use the same DT for U-Boot and the Linux kernel (at least for this specific situation involving the hlcdc driver).
(FWIW I still use older versions of U-Boot, and never looked at DT support in U-Boot until this week.)

So for U-Boot only, you should use arch/arm/dts/at91-sama5d4_xplained.dts and the Linux4SAM webpage as examples for the changes needed for your at91-sama5d27_som1_ek.dts.
For the Linux kernel only, you should use the previously mentioned at91-sama5d27_som1_ek_pda4.dts with the appropriate modifications suggested by that Linux4SAM webpage.

Niino wrote:I can see the BootLogo page on Linux4SAM got updated, it is a little bit more precise, but at the bottom it says: Boards Sama5d4ek.
Is it only valid for this board now ?
I don't know if the content is "more precise", but there are certainly more spelling errors.
You're repeating a variation of your faulty assumption.
No, as I've already written, that LCD controller is common to several SoCs.
And the SAMA5D2 and SAMA5D4 (currently) use the identical configuration of the Linux device driver, whereas the SAMA5D3 uses a slightly different configuration of the same driver. There's framework in the driver to differentiate SAMA5D2 and SAMA5D4, but the current version of the driver does not utilize it.
Bottom line: the LCD controllers of the SAMA5D2 and SAMA5D4 use the same U-Boot driver and the same Linux kernel driver.

Niino wrote:Still, I modified the at91-sama5d27_som1_ek_pda4.dts file to add the given code to:
Your modifications are incorrect.
First of all, you need to be precise as to whether this is for the U-Boot DT or the kernel DT.
Second, do not replicate properties that have already been defined in included .dtsi files unless you actually intend to override the previous definition.
For example, the 'compatible' property has already been properly defined in a sama5d2.dtsi, and your override is wrong for both U-Boot and the kernel (actually it's okay for Linux but you didn't know that). If this is your U-Boot DT, then no driver for the LCD controller will be installed by U-Boot because of this incorrect 'compatible' property.

Niino wrote:Note that I tried with both status="okay" and status="disabled".
FYI a 'status = "disabled"' property is going to disable the installation of the associated device driver. Is that what you really wanted to test?
Niino wrote:In the early booting part there is an error:
Again, this is insufficient context.
Your concept of "early booting part" may not be the same as someone else's.
One or two lines of error text is not adequate to clarify the problem. Surrounding lines sometimes provide additional information related to the problem.
Niino wrote:It shows up again just before and after the INIT: version 2.88 booting:
Before:
"atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: DRM device successfully registered"
after init booting:
"atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: fb0: frame buffer device"
No, do not try to explain the sequence of messages.
Simply provide the actual boot log, because your description will never be as accurate as the log itself..

Regards
Niino

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:22 pm

blue_z wrote: You're repeating a variation of your faulty assumption.
No, as I've already written, that LCD controller is common to several SoCs.
And the SAMA5D2 and SAMA5D4 (currently) use the identical configuration of the Linux device driver, whereas the SAMA5D3 uses a slightly different configuration of the same driver. There's framework in the driver to differentiate SAMA5D2 and SAMA5D4, but the current version of the driver does not utilize it.
Bottom line: the LCD controllers of the SAMA5D2 and SAMA5D4 use the same U-Boot driver and the same Linux kernel driver.
I'm not directly refferring to the hlcdc driver, more about this whole tutorial. It is actually more oriented for the sama5d4 for sure, cf. "Comment out below two lines in the function video_show_board_logo_info in uboot/board/atmel/board_name/board_name.c file." the mentionned function doesn't exist in the header file for the sama5d27-som1-ek.
blue_z wrote:
For example, the 'compatible' property has already been properly defined in a sama5d2.dtsi, and your override is wrong for both U-Boot and the kernel (actually it's okay for Linux but you didn't know that). If this is your U-Boot DT, then no driver for the LCD controller will be installed by U-Boot because of this incorrect 'compatible' property.
I didn't have the hlcdc node in that file. Probably changed it by trying before posting here, but I cloned the source again to have a proper u-boot.

And by making/adding these changes to u-boot DT:

#define ATMEL_PIO_DRVSTR_ME	2
ahb {

apb {

atmel,vl-bpix = <4>;
                               atmel,guard-time = <1>;
                               pinctrl-names = "default";
                               pinctrl-0 = <&pinctrl_lcd_base &pinctrl_lcd_pwm &pinctrl_lcd_rgb>;
                               status = "okay";
                               u-boot,dm-pre-reloc;

display-timings {
                                    u-boot,dm-pre-reloc;
                                    480x272 {
                                            clock-frequency = <9000000>;
                                             hactive = <480>;
                                             vactive = <272>;
                                             hsync-len = <41>;
                                             hfront-porch = <2>;
                                             hback-porch = <2>;
                                             vfront-porch = <2>;
                                             vback-porch = <2>;
                                             vsync-len = <11>;
                                             u-boot,dm-pre-reloc;
                                    };
                              };
                         };

pioA: gpio@fc038000 {
				pinctrl {
					pinctrl_lcd_base: pinctrl_lcd_base {
						pinmux = <PIN_PC5__LCDVSYNC>,
							 <PIN_PC6__LCDHSYNC>,
							 <PIN_PC8__LCDDEN>,
							 <PIN_PC7__LCDPCK>;
						bias-disable;
						drive-strength = <ATMEL_PIO_DRVSTR_ME>;
						u-boot,dm-pre-reloc;
					};

pinctrl_lcd_rgb: pinctrl_lcd_rgb {
						pinmux = <PIN_PB11__LCDDAT0>,
							 <PIN_PB12__LCDDAT1>,
							 <PIN_PB13__LCDDAT2>,
							 <PIN_PB14__LCDDAT3>,
							 <PIN_PB15__LCDDAT4>,
							 <PIN_PB16__LCDDAT5>,
							 <PIN_PB17__LCDDAT6>,
							 <PIN_PB18__LCDDAT7>,
							 <PIN_PB19__LCDDAT8>,
							 <PIN_PB20__LCDDAT9>,
							 <PIN_PB21__LCDDAT10>,
							 <PIN_PB22__LCDDAT11>,
							 <PIN_PB23__LCDDAT12>,
							 <PIN_PB24__LCDDAT13>,
							 <PIN_PB25__LCDDAT14>,
							 <PIN_PB26__LCDDAT15>,
							 <PIN_PB27__LCDDAT16>,
							 <PIN_PB28__LCDDAT17>,
							 <PIN_PB29__LCDDAT18>,
							 <PIN_PB30__LCDDAT19>,
							 <PIN_PB31__LCDDAT20>,
							 <PIN_PC0__LCDDAT21>,
							 <PIN_PC1__LCDDAT22>,
							 <PIN_PC2__LCDDAT23>;
						bias-disable;
						u-boot,dm-pre-reloc;
					};

pinctrl_lcd_pwm: pinctrl_lcd_pwm {
						pinmux = <PIN_PC3__LCDPWM>;
						bias-disable;
						u-boot,dm-pre-reloc;
					};

};
			};
		};
	};

The backlight turns on, which it wasn't doing before
blue_z wrote:FYI a 'status = "disabled"' property is going to disable the installation of the associated device driver. Is that what you really wanted to test?
I surely don't know everything I'm doing yes, it's my first experience with u-boot, linux, etc...
But it is obvious it would disable it, I just tried both since in the Linux4SAM page it was marked as disabled which seemed weird.

blue_z wrote:Simply provide the actual boot log, because your description will never be as accurate as the log itself..
That is true.

I guess I'm the problem in this case and not the page :). So I'll just let it slip and rip boot logo.

Thank you for your time anyways, I still learned a lot of things. Maybe I'll try again when someone else made it (on this board) and there is a "decent" tutorial for "newbies".

Regards
sandeepsheriker

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 pm

Hi,
Boot logo for SOM1_ek board in uboot-at91 is missing. Below is a patch download link.

https://microchip.box.com/s/2f75yczng46 ... ug94h3jha7

I have update the linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/BootLogo page with more info.

Hope this will be helpful.

Regards,
Sandeep
Niino

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:39 pm

sandeepsheriker wrote: Hi,
Boot logo for SOM1_ek board in uboot-at91 is missing. Below is a patch download link.

https://microchip.box.com/s/2f75yczng46 ... ug94h3jha7

I have update the linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/BootLogo page with more info.

Hope this will be helpful.

Regards,
Sandeep
Hello,

Yes it helped and worked when the image is built in the binary. The bmp command didnt work though, but that was maybe because it was a 16 bit bmp.

I created an 8bpp for the built in version. The boot logo shows until the drm device is registered, then the screen goes blank. But it's fine for now.

Regards

Return to “LINUX”