Java on Sama5d27Som1EK

This forum is for users of Microchip MPUs and who are interested in using Linux OS.

Moderator: nferre

eugenioexposito

Java on Sama5d27Som1EK

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:39 am

Hi all

Has anyone managed to install java on this development board?
I'm trying to install java in the Microchip Kit, but I do not know what file I should download.
Can someone help me??
thanks in advance
blue_z

Re: Java on Sama5d27Som1EK

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:01 am

eugenioexposito wrote:Has anyone managed to install java on this development board?
Java is a programming language, so your question makes no sense. What do you mean by "java"?
Java virtual machine?
Java runtime environment?
Java SDK?
JavaScript Engine and/or Runtime Environment?

What are you trying to actually do?
IOW do not ask an XY question.

Regards
eugenioexposito

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:53 am

Thank you blue_z for your quick answer
what I need is to execute a java program written in netbeans, the output of netbeans is a .jar file
thanks
blue_z

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:19 am

Assuming that you're running a Linux4SAM Yocto-generated demo image on your EK board, you could try installing an Oracle Java SE Embedded runtine environment. The first package/file, described as "ARMv6/7 Linux - Headless - Client Compiler EABI, VFP, HardFP ABI, Little Endian", accurately describes your board.

If that is unsuccessful, then the alternative is build it yourself. After all customizing the kernel and root filesystem is one of the advantages of open source.
You'll have to figure out how to use Yocto and a recipe for OpenJDK-*, OpenJRE-8, or JamVM.
Buildroot is much easier to use and faster than Yocto, but only JamVM is available pre-configured. This compact Java virtual machine might suffice if, for instance, you don't need Java 8 features.

If you have a Debian/Ubuntu host, then you could tryout different Java virtual machines. See https://askubuntu.com/questions/107278/ ... vm-in-java.

Regards
eugenioexposito

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks
i install from oracle the embebed jdk as you say
and work !!
regards.

Return to “LINUX”