at91bootstrap build error :: Makefile:338: recipe for target

This forum is for users of Microchip MPUs and who are interested in using Linux OS.

Moderator: nferre

mwelsford

at91bootstrap build error :: Makefile:338: recipe for target

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:49 am

All,

I am at the beginning of a steep learning curve for Yocto and embedded Linux. I am building yocto from source on a ubuntu 16.4 host for the SAMA5D2-xplained EVK. I have followed all the current build instructions from the git repos and repeatedly end up with the same error.

I have managed to build the at91bootstrap binary separately from the sam4linux instructions but not as part of a yocto bitbake.

The error message that I get back is as follows:

Code: Select all

LD        sama5d2_xplained-dataflashboot-uboot-3.8.7.elf
| ./scripts/get_sram_size.sh: 1: ./scripts/get_sram_size.sh: bc: not found
| Makefile:338: recipe for target 'ChkFileSize' failed
| make: *** [ChkFileSize] Error 3
| ERROR: oe_runmake failed
| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
| ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/matt/sw_builds/atmel_sama5d2/linux4sam/poky/build-atmel/tmp/work/sama5d2_xplained-poky-linux-gnueabi/at91bootstrap/3.8.7-r0/temp/log.do_compile.12980)
ERROR: Task (/home/matt/sw_builds/atmel_sama5d2/linux4sam/meta-atmel/recipes-bsp/at91bootstrap/at91bootstrap_3.8.7.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
Any suggestions or assistance would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

Matt
blue_z

Re: at91bootstrap build error :: Makefile:338: recipe for ta

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:46 am

Looks like your system is missing the calculator utility bc.
Confirm using the shell command `which bc`.

IMO it's no big deal if you have to build the boot programs separate from the kernel and filesystem.
I do that as a matter of course (now habit), because back in the day, these boot programs used to require older, specific versions of the gcc toolchain.

BTW you failed to mention which release you're using. It doesn't look to be the latest Linux4SAM 5.6.

Regards
mwelsford

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:22 am

Hi blue_z,

It looks like something is there. I get 'usr/bin/bc' in response to 'which bc'.

You may well be right about the version of Linux4SAM. I've pulled it from the repos. Could this me the cause of the error?

How can I go about building the kernel and filesystem separately? I'm currently invoking the build using 'bitbake core-image-minimal'.

Thanks
blue_z

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 pm

mwelsford wrote:It looks like something is there. I get 'usr/bin/bc' in response to 'which bc'.
Then you also need to make sure it can be executed. IOW test to ensure that you do not have a situation like this post.
mwelsford wrote:You may well be right about the version of Linux4SAM. I've pulled it from the repos. Could this me the cause of the error?
Highly unlikely.
But the Yocto build method of retrieving (current) source from the github means that you might not be using the exact same source as the release version. I.E. I was able to rebuild the Linux4SAM 5.5 release on my machine without a problem, although that was for a different board (than yours) and almost 9 months ago (but less than 2 weeks after the release).

Check the Linux4SAM home page or read the announcement, as some of the updates are related to the board that you're using.
mwelsford wrote:How can I go about building the kernel and filesystem separately? I'm currently invoking the build using 'bitbake core-image-minimal'.
I know nothing about configuring Yocto, and have only used it to rebuild the Linux4SAM releases.
For kernels and rootfs I use Buildroot (sometimes using the build configurations from the Yocto builds).

Regards
mwelsford

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 am

I haven't found the issue but I have been able to successfully build the morty branch from the linux4sam git repo.

Rookie mistake I'm guessing!

Return to “Linux”